Christmas jello shots are the perfect boozy treat for the holiday season! Made with layers of red and green jello and topped with whipped cream and sprinkles, these festive jello shots are easy to make with just a few simple ingredients and perfect for holiday parties.
The delicious jello shots are spicked with vodka and packed with crisp and refreshing cranberry lime flavor. A flavor combination perfect for Christmas gatherings.
Looking for more Christmas jell-o shots for your next holiday party? Check out this easy Grinch Jello Shots recipe, these tasty Christmas Cookie Jello Shots, and these fun Santa Hat Jello Shots as well. You could even set up a table with a variety of festive shots for your guests to try–how fun would that be?
For now, lets take a look at how to make these fun layered Christmas jello shots.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Green Jello— A 3-ounce (4 serving) size box of lime flavored Jell-O mix.
- Red jello— We used cranberry for a holiday taste but you could use cherry jello, raspberry jello, or strawberry jello as well. Again, just be sure to grab the smaller 3 ounce size package.
- Water— You will need both boiling water and cold water.
- Vodka— For the best-tasting jello shots use a smooth, high-quality vodka.
- Toppings— Whipped cream and some red and green sprinkles give the shots a fun and festive look. Mini candy canes sticking out of the shots would look great as well!
- Plastic shot glasses – I used 1-ounce jello shot cups but you can use 2-ounce cups instead. Just keep in mind that you will get fewer shots out of each batch.
- Pan, tray, or baking sheet – To place the shot cups on and carry to and from the fridge.
- Mixing bowl or large measuring cup with a spout – for easy pouring
How to make Christmas Jello Shots
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Set out your plastic shot cups on a rimmed tray or in a baking dish so they will be easy to carry to and from the refrigerator. Now is also the time to clear some space in your refrigerator for the shots.
Step 2: Combine the lime jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water. Whisk the jello powder into the hot water until it is fully dissolved, about 2 minutes. Mix in ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup of vodka. Carefully pour the jello mixture into the shot glasses, filling them each a little less than halfway. Chill until the jello has set, about 45 minutes.
Step 3: Repeat the process with the cranberry jello mix, pouring the red jello on top of the green layer. Return to the refrigerator and allow the shots to set fully.
Step 4: Before serving, top each shot with whipped cream and festive sprinkles.
Store jello shots covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Wait until just before serving to add whipped cream and sprinkles.
Expert tips & tricks
- Use a disposable foil baking pan and disposable plastic shot cups with lids for easy Christmas party transport and clean-up.
- Make sure the bottom layer is fully set before adding the next layer. This way the colors will not blend.
- Dress up the shots by rimming the shot cups with red sanding sugar.
- The recipe easy doubles for a large crowd.
- Nothing says that the green layer has to be on the bottom. Feel free to switch it up. When I am making a double batch I like to make half each way.
- Switch it up and try the recipe with vanilla vodka or another flavored vodka in place of plain vodka.
- Experiment with combining different jello flavors and different liquors such as white rum, tequlia, triple sec, peppermint schnapps, or butterscotch schnapps.
- To make a non-alcoholic version substitute the vodka with an additional 1/2 cup of water per layer. Or try these Santa jello cups for a fun treat the whole family can enjoy.
Christmas Jello Shot Recipe: FAQ
Yes, I recommend it! Making the shots the night before helps ensure they are fully set and ready to serve when it is party time.
Yes, you can place the lids on the jello shot cups before you place them in the fridge to set. This will not cause any issues with them setting properly.
Unfortunately, gelatin does not freeze so please do not attempt to freeze your jello shots. You will be highly disappointed with the results.
More Holiday Drinks
- Christmas Punch
- Vodka Cranberry Cocktail
- Eggnog White Russian
- Christmas Cookie Cocktail – the taste of Christmas cookies in drink!
- Gingerbread Cookie Cocktail
- Christmas Mimosa
- 1 (3 ounce) package of lime Jello
- 1 (3 ounce) package of cranberry Jello
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1 cup vodka, divided
- whipped cream
- Christmas sprinkles
- Prep: Place the plastic shot cups on a rimmed tray or in a baking dish so that they will be easy to transfer to and from the refrigerator. Also, make sure that you have space in your refrigerator to place them set.
- Green layer: In a large bowl or measuring cup with a spout combine the lime jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water. Whisk until the jello is fully dissolved, about 2 minutes. Whisk in ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup of vodka. Carefully pour the jello mixture into the cups, filling them each a little less than halfway. Place the shots in the refrigerator to chill until the jello has set, about 45 minutes
- Red layer: Repeat the process, whisking the cranberry jello mix with 1 cup of boiling water until dissolved, then mixing in ½ cup of cold water and ½ cup of vodka. Carefully pour the red liquid on top of the green layer. Chill in the refrigerator until fully set (at least 2 hours, overnight works too).
- Serve: When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and festive sprinkles.
Cranberry jello is seasonal, if you have trouble finding it the recipe will work with strawberry, cherry, or raspberry jello as well.
Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.