Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This 3-ingredient banana bread recipe with cake mix is so delicious, so flavorful and so easy! Just 3 simple ingredients are all you need: spice cake mix, eggs, and, of course, bananas! You will get perfectly spiced, perfectly moist banana bread every time!
You’ve probably got some bananas turning brown on your counter right now, right? Instead of tossing them in the trash, mash them up for this delicious semi-homemade banana bread.
Using a boxed cake mix cuts out so much of the work, but this shortcut doesn’t skimp on flavor. In fact, the spice cake mix adds the perfect amount of warming spices like ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, which pair perfectly with the sweet flavor of bananas.
And there’s never a bad time to eat banana bread, right? It’s great for breakfast, dessert, or an after-school treat for the kids. I won’t even judge if you sneak a piece as a midnight snack.
For more ways to use overripe bananas, try these sweet treats:
For now, let’s get started on the easiest banana bread recipe you’ve ever tried.
Ingredients for Cake Mix Banana Bread
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Bananas — Over-ripe bananas work best for banana bread; they add natural sweetness and moisture to the bread. Very ripe bananas also contribute to the overall banana flavor — they’re far more flavorful than the bright yellow bananas you enjoy as a snack.
- Eggs — Let them come to room temperature before mixing the ingredients. Eggs help bind the ingredients together, providing structure and stability to your sweet bread.
- Boxed Spice Cake Mix — The store-bought cake mix serves as the base for the quick bread, providing all the necessary flour, sugar, aromatic spices, and leavening ingredients needed for a flavorful banana bread. Using a box of your favorite cake mix really simplifies the recipe!
Equipment Needed for Easy Banana Bread With Cake Mix
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 9x5x3 loaf pan
- Mixing bowls
- Wooden spoon
- Wire rack
How to Make 3 Ingredient Banana Bread
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Prep: Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine the bananas and eggs by mashing them together with a fork until they’re nice and smooth.
Step 2: Gently stir the spice cake mix into the mashed bananas, being careful not to over-mix the batter.
Step 3: Transfer the banana bread batter to the prepared loaf pan, spreading it out evenly.
Step 4: Bake for about 50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost completely clean. Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then carefully flip it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Enjoy your delicious and easy 3-ingredient banana bread!
While this banana bread recipe is delicious on its own, you can pair it with lots of spreads and toppings to make it even better. Don’t forget a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee! Here are a handful of spreads to try:
- Butter — simple, but classic.
- Cream cheese — this goes especially well with the spice cake flavors!
- Honey or pure maple syrup — just a drizzle for extra sweetness.
- Preserves — Apricot preserves are a perfect pairing with this flavor of quick bread.
Storage and Freezing
Room Temperature: Store covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Make sure your bread is cooled completely before storing.
Refrigerator: For longer storage, put your delicious banana bread in the fridge in an airtight container or wrapped tightly with plastic wrap. It’ll keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Freezer: Before freezing the banana bread, wrap it in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil or place it in a resealable freezer bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can freeze the loaf or individual slices.
Easy Banana Bread Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Do NOT follow the recipe on the back of the box of cake mix. The only ingredients you need are the dry cake mix, bananas, and eggs. You can add mix-ins if you’d like, though.
- If the bread doesn’t come out of the pan easily, try running a butter knife along the edge to help unstick it before flipping it onto the cooling rack.
- Use a large fork or a potato masher to mash the bananas well. You definitely don’t want any big lumps of banana in the finished product!
- Stir the ingredients for the batter until just combined. Overmixing can make the banana bread dense and tough.
- Remember to let the banana bread cool for 10 minutes before moving it to a wire rack. It will hold together better when transferring after it has cooled a little.
Additions and Variations
Try some mix-ins. Add chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, or fresh blueberries (about a cup) to the batter to vary the flavor and texture of this easy banana bread recipe.
Add a streusel topping: Create a streusel topping by combining flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the banana bread before baking for a crunchy and sweet topping.
Add a little coffee flavor. Mix in a teaspoon of espresso powder for a subtle hint of coffee flavor.
Try pumpkin banana bread. Replace one of the bananas with an equal amount of pumpkin puree (about 1/2 cup) to make a wonderful fall dessert.
Mix in some vanilla extract. The warm vanilla flavor will make it taste more like traditional banana bread from a bakery.
Try a different flavor of cake mix. Switch things up with different cake mixes. Use chocolate cake mix to make chocolate banana bread or try the recipe with yellow, butter pecan, French vanilla, or even white cake mix.
Top with a glaze. Make a peanut butter or cream cheese glaze to go on top to make it extra decadent.
3-Ingredient Banana Bread Recipe FAQ
Yes, you can use a yellow cake mix instead of the spice cake mix. Just add a sprinkle of ground cinnamon to the batter to achieve that banana bread flavor.
The banana bread is done when it turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost entirely clean. This usually takes about 50-60 minutes, but start checking it at the 50-minute mark.
Absolutely! Pour the batter into a greased muffin tin, filling each cup about 1/2 or 2/3 full. Reduce the cooking time to about 25-30 minutes, checking to see if the muffins are done with a toothpick inserted into the center.
Yes, you can use frozen bananas, but you have to thaw them first and drain any excess liquid before mashing them with the eggs.
More Easy Cake Mix Recipes
Looking for more cake mix recipes? Try these ideas!
- 3 Ingredient Apple Dump Cake – make it with yellow cake mix or butter cake mix.
- Oreo Poke Cake – use chocolate cake mix with this one!
- 3 Ingredient Lemon Cookies – lemon cake mix makes for bright and flavorful cookies.
- Pineapple Angel Food Cake – tropical vibes made with angel food cake mix.
- Pumpkin 2-Ingredient Cake – combine spice cake mix and pumpkin puree for an easy Fall dessert.
- Harvest Spice Bars – also uses spice cake mix.
3-Ingredient Banana Bread
- 3 over-ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 15.25 ounces spice cake mix (1 box)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas with the eggs until they are smooth as you can get.
- Stir in the cake mix until just mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost entirely clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before inverting the banana bread onto a wire rack to continue to cool.
- Add chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the bread or the top of the batter if you would like.
- If the bread doesn’t come out of the pan easily, run a butter knife along the edge to help unstick it.
- Store covered or in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to a week.