Double chocolate banana muffins are easy to make and perfect for breakfast or snack time- and even sweet enough for dessert. Packed with intense chocolate and banana flavor, these decadent muffins are perfect for chocolate lovers.
For another incredible muffins recipe with chocolate chips try these moist and fluffy bakery-style chocolate chip muffins!
Muffins are one of our favorite breakfasts.
We all know that banana nut muffins make an amazing breakfast. In fact, they have always been one of my favorite muffins along with lemon poppy seed muffins, coffee cake muffins, and lemon blueberry muffins.
But what if you want something downright decadent? Maybe something with chocolate.
Lots of chocolate.
Double Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
These delicious double chocolate banana muffins will have you wondering why you chose banana nut for so long.
With a rich chocolate flavor, and sprinkled with sweet chocolate chips, this easy recipe will be loved by everyone in the family.
Made with simple ingredients, not only are these double chocolate banana muffins a great breakfast on the go, but they make a wonderful snack.
Imagine sitting down with one of these and an iced mocha latte. If you love chocolate, you’ll be in heaven.
These also pair beautifully with chocolate milk, if you’re looking for a kid-friendly option.
Related: The Best Strawberry Muffin Recipe
Another plus is that you can freeze these chocolate chip banana muffins for later.
Make a double batch and then freeze the excess.
Whenever you want a quick breakfast or snack, pop a tender muffin into the microwave on the defrost setting.
If you are looking for more recipes to use extra ripe bananas give my banana pudding cookies, banana bundt cake, and banana blueberry oatmeal breakfast cookies a try. They are a great way to use up brown bananas!
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt, or sour cream
- 1 ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line two muffin trays with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar for 2 minutes until light and well combined. Add the mashed bananas, egg, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until combined. Fold in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick or cake tester comes out almost entirely clean and tops bounce back when tapped.
- Let cool in the muffin pan for 8-10 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
This delicious banana chocolate chip muffin recipe was shared over on The Weekend Potluck and Meal Plan Monday!
I made these muffins but they didn’t completely rise. what would I have done wrong? in fact I was going to make bread with the recipe instead.
Jaclyn Shimmel says
Perhaps your baking soda is no longer good? May be worth trying them again with fresh baking soda.
Richelle Revelle says
do you have anymore of the nutrition facts calories aren’t the only thing people look at 🙁
Jaclyn Shimmel says
I updated the nutrition info so that it is more complete. Hope that helps 🙂