Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This easy Halloween Chex mix recipe takes crispy chex cereal, salty pretzels, and crunchy bugles, coats them in caramelized brown sugar, and tosses them with chocolatey M&Ms and peanut-buttery Reese’s Pieces for the ultimate Halloween snack mix.
The crunchy, salty, and sweet treat is the perfect snack for Halloween parties. It is easy to make, always a crowd-pleaser, and has festive pops of color for Halloween. For a snack mix to enjoy throughout the Fall season give this brown sugar cinnamon chex mix a try.
Make this homemade chex mix recipe this Halloween and I am sure it will become a family favorite with your family as it has in our house!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
For this easy recipe you will need:
- Chex cereal— the crispy cereal forms the base of the easy Halloween snack mix.
- Pretzels— I used mini pretzel twists but pretzel sticks would work as well.
- Bugles— the crunchy, funnel-shaped corn snacks make a tasty addition to the festive snack mix.
- Butter— either salted or unsalted will work for this recipe.
- Light Brown Sugar—combines with the butter to make the sweet caramel sauce.
- Vanilla extract— adds a touch of sweet vanilla flavor
- M&M candies— Grab a bag of the Halloween “ghoul mix” for fun and festive Halloween colors. Or use regular M&Ms for an easy chex mix recipe any time of year. Peanut M&M candies work well too!
- Reese’s Pieces— incorporates peanut butter flavor into the mix and adds a pop of fall colors.
Additions and Variations
Cereal: Try a combination of rice chex and corn Chex. Or a combination of Chex and Crispix.
Nuts: Pecans, almonds, walnuts, or peanuts would make a great addition to the sweet and salty Halloween chex mix.
Candy: Mix in some of your favorite Halloween candies. Candy corn, candy eyes, and candy pumpkins would all make fun add-ins.
& more: mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, caramel corn, or kettle corn would also be great in this yummy mix!
How to make Halloween Chex Mix
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Mix Chex cereal, pretzels, and Bugles on the prepared baking sheet. Spread into an even layer and set aside.
Step 3: In a medium saucepan, combine butter and light brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often, over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until smooth and combined. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Step 4: Carefully pour the brown sugar butter mixture over the cereal mixture on the lined baking sheet. Use a spatula to turn / toss to coat everything in the sauce.
Step 5: Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Step 6: Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Use a spatula to turn the mixture once or twice again while it cools to help break up any large clumps.
Step 7: To a large mixing bowl, add the cooled Chex mixture, M&Ms, and Reese’s pieces. Toss to combine.
Store your delicious chex mix in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Make sure that the party mix has cooled fully before adding the M&Ms and peanut butter candies. Otherwise, they will melt!
- If you are making ahead, wait until just before serving to add the candies to the Halloween mix.
Happy Halloween and Happy snacking!
More Halloween Party Treats
- Frankenstein rice krispie treats
- Pumpkin cookie dough pops
- Monster eyeball donuts
- Witch hat cupcakes
- See all my favorite Halloween treat ideas here! 60+ recipes!
Halloween Chex Mix
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cups Bugles
- 1 cup Halloween M&Ms
- ½ cup Reese’s Pieces
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix Chex cereal, pretzels, and Bugles on the prepared baking sheet. Spread into an even layer and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring often, over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until smooth and combined. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Carefully pour the sauce over the Chex mixture on the lined baking sheet. Using a spatula, toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Use a spatula to turn the mixture once or twice again while it cools to help break up any large clumps.
- To a large bowl, add the cooled Chex mixture, M&Ms, and Reese’s pieces. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container until serving.