3 Ingredient apple dump cake is the ultimate quick and easy apple dessert–all you need is a box of cake mix, apple pie filling, and butter!
Like my chocolate cherry dump cake, this tasty dump cake recipe is quick and easy to make with a few basic ingredients and under 5 minutes of prep.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream for an extra dreamy treat or enjoy chilled. Either way, I am sure that you will agree that the tender apples and buttery cake mix combine for one irresistible dessert.
You might be wondering why this is called a “dump cake”. The answer is actually quite simple. The name reflects the fact that all you need to do to make the came is dump the ingredients into your baking dish.
No dirty mixing bowls to wash.
How neat is that? (pun totally intended)
Like apple pie crescent rolls, apple pie filling dump cake tastes similar to apple pie but is far easier to make.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Cake Mix— Yellow or butter cake mix both work well for this recipe.
- Apple Pie Filling— I like to use 2 cans but 1 can would work in a pinch.
- Butter— You can use either salted or unsalted butter.
Apple Dump Cake Variations
Elevate the recipe with the addition of a few optional ingredients/ serving suggestions:
- Apple Spice Dump Cake: Use spice cake mix or sprinkle a teaspoon of apple pie spice or cinnamon over the cake before baking.
- Apple Pecan Dump Cake: Add some crunch with the addition of chopped pecans.
- Caramel Apple Dump Cake: Drizzle caramel sauce over each serving.
- Apple Crisp Dump Cake: The ultimate Fall dump cake made with spice cake mix, apple pie filling, oat and honey granola, and caramel sauce.
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Add apple filling to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Step 2: Sprinkle cake mix over the pie filling.
Step 3: Drizzle with melted butter. It won’t cover all of the cake mix–that’s okay.
Step 4: Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and amost entirely dry on top.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Whipped cream or Cool Whip make a great topping for dump cake with apple pie filling.
Or top your warm apple cake with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream to enjoy it à la mode.
You can also never go wrong with a drizzle of caramel sauce.
How to Store
Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat individual-size portions in the microwave for about 20 seconds and enjoy.
Apple Dump Cake: Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! While the canned stuff is easier if you are feeling ambitious I bet it would be amazing with homemade apple pie filling.
Yes! Once the cake has cooled transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Absolutey! Have fun experimenting with any two cans of pie filling and any kind of cake mix.
More tasty apple desserts for Fall
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Crockpot Cracker Barrell Fried Apples
- Apple Pie Cookies
- Apple Nachos
- Glazed Apple Cookies
- 2 cans (21 oz each) apple pie filling
- 1 box yellow or butter cake mix
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce, optional toppings
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add both cans of apple pie filling to the baking dish.
- Pour cake mix in an even layer over the apple pie filling.
- Drizzle with melted butter, trying to cover as much of the cake mix as possible. (It won't cover it all - that is ok!)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and dry on top.
- Serve warm, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
Have leftovers? Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat individual-size portions in the microwave.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 204
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.