These apple pie cupcakes are soft cinnamon cupcakes stuffed with a sweet apple pie filling and topped with creamy cinnamon vanilla buttercream –and more apple pie filling. Yum!
Looking for a delicious Fall or Thanksgiving dessert?
Today I have an amazing apple recipe to share with you– apple cupcakes with apple pie filling!
Apple Pie Cupcake Recipe
If you love apple pie and love cupcakes you are going to go crazy for these apple pie filled cupcakes.
They taste just like homemade apple pie but are fun and easy to eat in individual-sized portions — no slicing required!
How to Make Apple Pie Cupcakes
Making these amazing Fall cupcakes is simple.
Start by gathering your ingredients and supplies.
Here is what you will need:
- can of apple pie filling
- granulated sugar
- powdered sugar
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- vanilla paste (can substitute with the same amount of vanilla extract)
- 2 standard size 12-cup cupcake tins
- 24 cupcake liners
You will find the full ingredient list with measurements in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Start by preparing your cinnamon cupcake batter, adding a scoop to each cupcake liner, and baking for 5 minutes.
- Top with apple pie filling and top with more batter.
- Bake for 12-15 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream topping.
- Pipe buttercream onto cupcakes in a circle.
- Finally, top with a bit more apple filling.
Looking for a shortcut?
We made our cinnamon cupcake batter from scratch but if you are looking for a shortcut you could easily use a store-bought white cake mix and add 1-2 tbsp cinnamon to the batter.
Either way, the apple pie filling and delicious cinnamon buttercream are what really makes these cupcakes.
More amazing apple desserts for Fall:
- Glazed soft apple cookies
- Apple danish
- Crockpot fried apples – a Cracker Barrel copycat!
- Snicker apple salad
For the Apple Pie Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups milk, room temperature
- 1 (20oz) can apple pie filling
For the Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream:
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk or cream
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two cupcake trays with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, oil and sugar until light and completely combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, then the vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gently fold half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture, then the milk, then the remaining flour mixture.
- Portion 1 scoop (approximately 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp) of batter into each cupcake liner and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place 1 tbsp of apple pie filling in the center of the cupcake. Cover the cupcakes with the remaining cupcake batter (approximately 1 1/2 tbsp each). Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cupcakes are completely set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream frosting. In a large bowl, beat 2 cups powdered sugar with the butter for 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of milk, the cinnamon and vanilla and beat well to incorporate. Add additional powdered sugar to taste and texture preferences as desired.
- Scoop the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Swirl a circle of the frosting onto the top of each cooled cupcake. Spoon a bit (about 1 tbsp) apple pie filling into the center of the frosting.
Use a boxed white cake mix with 1-2 tbsp of cinnamon as a shortcut to making the cupcake batter from scratch.
Vanilla paste can be substituted for an equal amount of vanilla extract.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Pin for Later: