Tender pieces of apple and crunchy bits of toasted pecans make these soft apple cookies completely irresistible.
Have you noticed that we have been on a total pumpkin kick lately? Between pumpkin chili, pumpkin spice pancakes, and pumpkin doughnuts, I thought that it was about time to change focus on another Fall flavor… APPLE!
These amazing glazed apple cookies make an amazing Fall dessert. Your family is going to love them.
They are wonderful as a snack in the kid's lunchbox, for breakfast with your morning coffee, or served as a light dessert.
Soft Apple Cookie Ingredients
Begin by gathering your ingredients, many of which you will likely have in your pantry. For the cookies you will need brown sugar, all-purpose flour, 1 egg, butter, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, buttermilk, toasted pecans, and of course, apples.
Tart apples (Granny Smith, Braeburn, or Jonathan) are your best choice for this apple cookie recipe; the small pieces are slightly firm and deliver delightful bursts of flavor that complement the sweet apple cookies and delicious vanilla glaze.
If you don't have any pumpkin pie spice on hand, no worries. You can easily make your own pumpkin pie spice by combining 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves.
Vanilla Glaze Ingredients
For the glaze you will need sugar, milk, vanilla, and butter.
Or, if you’d like to add a unique touch to the glaze, try substituting spiced rum for the milk – yum!
How to Make Soft Apple Cookies
Let's get baking. Begin by beating the butter and brown sugar together.
Then, add buttermilk and egg and continue beating.
Next, sift together the flour, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda.
Then add all the ingredients to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
Scoop the dough onto a prepared baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes at 375 F.
When cookies are light brown remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Glaze time! Grab all your glaze ingredients and whisk them together. Adjust amount of milk to reach desired icing consistency.
Finally, brush the glaze generously on top of the warm cookies.
I hope you and your family enjoy these delicious soft apple cookies as much as we do!
More Delicious Fall Recipes:
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/4 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. ground cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled, chopped tart apple (like Granny Smith)
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
For the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk (more if desired for a thinner glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 F. Cover baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, beat butter well. Add the brown sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the egg and buttermilk and beat for 1 minute, or until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping the side of the bowl often.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, spice, and salt. Add to butter mixture, along with the chopped apples and pecans. Beat on low until combined, scraping down the side of the bowl thoroughly.
- Using a cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon, drop dough at least 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until light brown. Move cookies onto cooling racks.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients, adjusting the consistency to preference. Brush onto warm cookies.
- Once the icing has dried, cover and store the cookies in layers between pieces of waxed paper.
When covered and stored at room temperature, these cookies keep well for at least a week, and the flavor just improves with age.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.