Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Strawberry dump cake is an easy 3-ingredient dessert made with a box of yellow cake mix, strawberry pie filling, and butter. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or cool whip for a delicious dessert.
Dump cake recipes are the ultimate no-fuss dessert. No measuring ingredients, no mixing bowls, no hand mixer, just “dump” your ingredients in the pan and bake. They are truly the easiest recipes.
Like chocolate cherry dump cake, lemon blueberry dump cake, and apple dump cake, this easy dump cake recipe comes together in minutes and is the perfect quick dessert when you are craving something sweet.
The delicious cake tastes similar to a strawberry cobbler and is divine when served warm with a big scoop of ice cream or a generous dollop of cool whip.
Give this easy strawberry dump cake recipe a try and I’d bet it will become one of your family favorites, too.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Yellow Cake Mix – A box of white cake mix or vanilla cake mix would work, too.
- Strawberry Pie Filling – You will need 2 cans of strawberry pie filling. I always grab the cans from the grocery store but you could use homemade strawberry pie filling if you are feeling ambitious.
- Butter – unsalted or salted butter work for this recipe.
How to make Strawberry Dump Cake
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Place pie filling in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Step 2: Sprinkle the cake mix on top of the pie filling.
Step 3: Pour melted butter over the top, covering as much of the dry cake mix as possible.
Step 4: Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbly around the edges.
Dump cakes can be served warm or cold, but my family has always preferred warm.
Enjoy the delicious strawberry dessert as-is or à la mode with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Whipped cream, cool whip whipped topping, or fresh fruit makes a great option for topping the moist cake as well.
How to Store Dump Cake
Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container or tightly covered in plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Freeze: For longer storage freeze the cake in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Allow the cake to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
To reheat: Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving, or enjoy it cold straight from the fridge if you prefer.
- Chocolate Strawberry Dump Cake: Use chocolate cake mix instead of yellow.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Dump Cake: Top the strawberry filling with dollops of whipped cream cheese before baking.
- Very Strawberry Dump Cake: Use strawberry cake mix for a double dose of strawberry flavor.
- Peach Dump Cake: Sub the strawberry pie filling for 2 cans of sliced peaches in syrup.
FAQ for Strawberry Pie Filling Dump Cake
No, for this recipe you will just be using the dry cake mix.
No. You are not supposed to stir a dump cake, hence the name “dump cake.”
Yes. Some dump cake recipes call for thin slices of butter to be placed on top of the cake mix. This method works as well, as the butter will melt in the oven.
More Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Fluff Salad – easy no-bake dessert
- Easy Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Old-fashioned Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Strawberry Jello Pie – only 4 ingredients!
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
Strawberry Dump Cake
- 42 onuces strawberry pie filling 2 (21oz) cans
- 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix 1 box
- ¾ cup butter melted
- cool whip & fresh strawberries optional toppings
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Coat a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the pie filling in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the strawberry filling.
- Drizzle the top of the cake mix with melted butter, trying to cover as much of it as possible (a few dry spots are okay).
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve warm, topped with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or fresh strawberries, if desired.