Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Lemon blueberry dump cake is easy to make with 4 simple ingredients and absolutely bursting with bright, fruity flavor. It’s the perfect dessert for Spring, Mother’s Day, Easter, or even summer barbeques.
Baking a tasty, flavorful dessert has never been simpler thanks to the secret ingredient in this recipe- a box of cake mix! No need for endless ingredients, just four simple ingredients will create this delicious cake that you are sure to make again and again.
The dessert is actually less of a traditional cake and more of a cobbler-like dessert. The blueberry fruit filling is topped with crumbly cake mix, providing the perfect combination of sweetness and tartness.
You might be wondering what the “dump” part of this recipe actually means. Simply put, you are going to be dumping all of the ingredients together in your baking dish. I told you it was easy! No mixing bowls or messing around trying to get the right consistency for the cake batter. Just dump and bake!
Why you’ll love this Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake recipe
- Easy to make – You simply “dump” all of the ingredients together.
- Delivers on flavor – The combination of lemons and blueberries works so well together.
- Simple ingredients – You only need four ingredients to bring this recipe to life.
Ingredients for the Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Blueberry pie filling – One can of pie filling is enough for this cake. The sweetness of the blueberries will balance the sharp freshness of the lemon flavor.
- Lemon – The zest of the fresh lemon will help intensify the lemon flavor from the cake mix.
- Box of lemon cake mix – You can pick these up easily in your local grocery store. Any brand of cake mix will work.
- Butter – You can choose either salted or unsalted butter for this recipe. Salted butter might be better to balance the flavors, but it is up to you. The butter will need to be melted.
How to make Blueberry Dump Cake with Lemon Cake Mix
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven and coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
Step 2: Spread the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of the prepared baking dish evenly.
Step 3: Sprinkle the filling with lemon zest.
Step 4: Top with the cake mix, covering the blueberries as evenly as possible.
Step 5: Finally, pour the melted butter over the top of the cake mix. You will want to aim to cover as much surface area as possible. However, be prepared that a little bit of the cake mix will remain uncovered.
Step 6: Bake for 40-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
Step 7: Allow the dump cake to cool slightly. Then serve it warm or at room temperature.
The flavors are strong, so this is a dessert that you can enjoy just as it is. Nothing fancy, just a scoop of lemon and blueberry dump cake to satisfy that sweet tooth.
But if you want to kick it up a notch it, the dessert can be served with whipped cream or cool whip. It is especially delicious severed warm with a big scoop of ice cream. Vanilla would be a great choice here.
In the refrigerator: Leftover cake can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. Allow the cake to cool fully and then cover tightly using plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container if only a small amount remains.
In the freezer: Allow the dessert to cool completely and then wrap the casserole dish tightly with a few layers of plastic wrap. Then freeze for up to 3 months. Allow the cake to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
To reheat: I like to reheat servings individually in the microwave for around 20 seconds, but you could also enjoy the dessert straight from the refrigerator if you would like.
Recipe tips & tricks
- Make sure you spray the baking dish with non-stick spray. This will stop the mixture from sticking and will help you easily scoop out servings when ready to enjoy.
- If you want more filling, you could use an extra can for a total of 2 cans of blueberry pie filling. Keep all other ingredient amounts the same.
- Can’t get a lemon cake mix? Then use a plain yellow cake mix and drizzle some fresh lemon juice across the blueberry mixture with the zest.
Additions and Variations
- Sweeten things up – Try melting some white chocolate and drizzling it across the top of the cake for extra sweetness.
- Decorate the cake – Dress up the easy dessert with a couple of lemon slices and powdered sugar when before serving. It will become a real crowd-pleaser.
- Use different cake mixes – You could use a different cake mix if you wish. Vanilla, French vanilla, and butter cake mix would all be delicious.
FAQs for blueberry lemon dump cake
Sure, you can! Just make up your blueberry pie filling with fresh blueberries and allow it to cool before carrying on with the recipe. The canned stuff saves you time, but if you want to make your own with fresh fruit or frozen blueberries, there is nobody stopping you!
No. You are not supposed to stir a dump cake, hence the name “dump cake.”
I hope that you have a chance to try this easy dump cake recipe. I am sure that you are going to love it as much as we do!
More easy cake mix recipes
- Apple crisp dump cake
- Lemon cake mix cookies
- Oreo poke cake
- Snickerdoodle cake mix cookies
- Confetti cake bars
Lemon Blueberry Dump Cake
- 21 ounce blueberry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 large lemon
- 15.25 ounce lemon cake mix
- ¾ cup salted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the blueberry pie filling into the bottom of the baking dish in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the lemon zest evenly over the blueberry filling.
- Cover the pie filling with the dry cake mix.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix covering as much surface area as possible. (You may not be able to cover it entirely.)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until lightly golden on top and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. If desired, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream.