Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Make this delicious chocolate cherry dump cake with just 3 simple ingredients: devil’s food cake mix, cherry pie filling, and butter! The rich chocolate cake is seriously one of the easiest desserts that you will ever make.
Rich chocolate cake and sweet cherries make a killer flavor combination, we love it in our chocolate cherry cookies as well.
If you are looking for an easy chocolate cherry dessert recipe, you will love this 3-ingredient chocolate cherry dump cake (aka black forest dump cake).
Not only is the chocolate dessert ridiculously easy to make, but it tastes incredible too. My husband says that this is the best dump cake he has ever had!
Easy Cherry Dump Cake
Although the name “dump cake” may not sound appetizing, I can assure you that this cake is 100% delicious.
We like to serve this rich chocolate cherry dump cake warm and topped with a scoop of ice cream, cool whip, or whipped cream. So good!
If you are a fan of this easy dump cake recipe chances are you will enjoy my easy apple crisp with cake mix as well. It is made dump cake style–super simple recipe–and tastes incredible.
Ingredients for 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Start by gathering your ingredients.
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix – or another chocolate cake mix
- Butter – salted butter or unsalted butter can be used for this easy recipe
You will also need a 9 x 13 baking dish and non-stick cooking spray.
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Once you have everything that you need you can make the cake in just a few minutes.
Or if you move quickly, under 60 seconds!
- Add cherry pie filling to a prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over the top of the cherry filling.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
Refrigerator: Once the cake has cooled to room temperature cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave or enjoy chilled.
Freeze: For longer storage, freeze the dump cake for up to 3 months. Allow the cake to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and serving.
Variations and Additions
- Double Chocolate: Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the cake at the 30-minute mark for extra chocolatey goodness.
- Almond Twist: Stir 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of almond extract into the pie filling for added flavor.
- Coconut Paradise: Sprinkle shredded coconut over the top of the cake mix for a tropical twist.
- Nutty Delight: Sprinkle chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, over the top of the cake before baking.
Cherry Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe FAQ
No. You will only use the dry cake mix for this recipe.
The name “dump cake” simply refers to how easy the cake is to prepare: simply dump the ingredients into the baking dish! No mixing or stirring is required at all.
Just dump, bake, and enjoy the chocolate-cherry deliciousness!
Definitely! While devil’s food cake mix adds a rich chocolate flavor to the delicious dessert, you can use other cake mix flavors as well. For instance, if you prefer a lighter taste, you can try yellow cake mix or even a white cake mix. The choice of cake mix allows you to customize the dessert to your liking.
More easy cake mix desserts
- Apple crisp with cake mix
- Lemon cake mix cookies
- Ricotta cake with cake mix
- Lemon poke cake with jello
Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake
- 42 ounces cherry pie filling (two 21-ounce cans)
- 15.25 ounce devil’s food cake mix (1 box)
- ¾ cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add both cans of cherry pie filling to the bottom of the pan.
- Top with a layer of devil’s food cake mix.
- Pour melted butter over the top of the cake mix, trying to cover as much of the cake mix as possible (there will be some dry spots).
- Bake in a prehearted oven for 40-45 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and dry on top.
- Serve warm. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped topping, if desired.