This hearty, homemade mushroom Bolognese sauce is easy to make and pairs well with ravioli, gnocchi, or any other pasta that your heart desires.
Italian food is both comforting and hearty. In other words, it’s the perfect comfort food.
While a quick plate of spaghetti is okay for dinner, it can get old after a while. If you’re looking for something new, yet easy to prepare, this mushroom bolognese is sure to become a family favorite.
The best part of this recipe is the homemade sauce. Don’t let the thoughts of homemade sauce frighten you though. This Mushroom Bolognese sauce, while incredibly delicious, is easy to make and contains easy to find ingredients. In fact, you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry.
The second best thing about this recipe is using pre-made ravioli. The homemade sauce is so delicious that you can use a store-bought product and no one will ever know.
If you’re looking for a casual dinner option for winter entertaining, this is a good choice. It’s also the perfect option for a quick family dinner on a busy evening.
If you want, you can also switch up the flavor of ravioli that you use. Try making this recipe with cheese or mushroom ravioli. Or, try using different pastas. This Mushroom Bolognese sauce would be wonderful served over gnocchi.
- 8 oz. Beef ravioli
- ½ Pound mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ Cup onions, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Can tomato sauce
- ½ Cup parmesan cheese
- ½ Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp basil, chopped
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the tomato sauce, 1 cup water, mushrooms, oregano, and sugar. Stir for 3 minutes.
- Let the sauce simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While waiting, boil water with salt in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook as instructed on the packaging.
- Drain the pasta and serve in plates.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta, and top it off with basil and parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
Tip: Add ground ginger to the sauce to give a spicy flavor.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 425 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 120mg Sodium: 2455mg Protein: 44g