Skip the fast food and make quick and easy hamburgers or cheeseburgers in the air fryer in just 15 minutes with this easy air fryer hamburger recipe.
Inside: How to cook hamburgers in the air fryer, including homemade burgers, pre-made patties, and frozen hamburgers.
If you have been curious about how to make burgers in the air fryer, I am here to tell you to try it!
Homemade Air Fryer Hamburgers
Air fryer burgers have quickly become a game-changer for us. Juicy, perfectly cooked burgers that can pile on a bun with all your favorite toppings and condiments.
When making your own burgers, you can adjust how done your burgers are to fit your preference. We enjoy well-done burgers but I know some enjoy some pink in their meat.
How does an air fryer work?
Air fryers are unique as they have a crisping lid that offers hot air that circulates all around the inside. So as it hits all angles of your food it cooks it in a delicious way. Thanks to an air fryer you can get deep-fried texture on your onion rings, french fries, and even nuggets without using loads of oil.
I especially love how my air fryer cooks burgers perfectly, leaving them thick and juicy.
But air fryers aren’t just for meat and veggies. They are excellent for cooking breakfast and dessert treats too. I love how they leave doughnuts and cakes fluffy and moist.
If you haven’t already, give an air fryer a try and be amazed at all it can do in terms of cooking in your kitchen.
You will need:
- Ground beef: I have found that an 80/20 blend has just the right amount of fat to keep the burgers moist and juicy.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce: Adds savory and tangy flavor. You can substitute with steak sauce or BBQ sauce, if desired.
- Buns: Seasame seed buns are our go-to but plain, potato, or pretzel buns are all options as well.
- Toppings of Choice: The choices are endless… from classic burger toppings like American or cheddar cheese to sliced jalapenos or a fried egg. More topping ideas below.
- BBQ sauce
- Pickles (make your own)
- Fried egg
How to Make Air Fryer Hamburgers
Start by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
Form four ½”9 inch thick burger patties and place them in the air fryer in a single layer.
Make sure that you leave space between each hamburger to ensure that it is fully cooked. Depending on the size of your air fryer basket you may need to cook 2 at a time.
Cook for 7 minutes at 375°F.
Check your burgers.
I usually end up cooking my burgers for about 10-12 minutes as we like them rather well done. If you prefer a burger with a bit of pink, cook for a bit less time. A meat thermometer is helpful to check the internal temperature for doneness.
If you want to make air fryer cheeseburgers, go ahead and add a slice of cheese to each pattie one minute before you go to pull out the burgers from the air fryer.
Once done, remove the burger parries and place them on a bun with your desired toppings.
Tip: If you want toasted buns, place them in the air fryer after you remove the burgers and toast them up for a few minutes.
Do you need to flip air-fried burgers?
Flipping homemade burgers in the air fryer is something you don’t have to do. I have found that you can easily make these hamburgers and not flip. But if you are curious about the cooking time or find your air fryer doesn’t always evenly cook you can certainly flip them.
If you happen to have leftover hamburgers on hand, you can store the remaining air-fried burgers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Then just reheat when you are ready to eat them.
You can toss it in the microwave for a quick reheat or even in the air fryer to heat until it is warmed up.
Can I use premade patties?
You can use pre-made burger patties to replace freshly formed hamburger patties. You can season them a little bit differently than forming them as directed above.
If they are thinner patties then you will cook your hamburgers in the air fryer for a bit less time. You will know when your burgers are done as the juice runs clear, no pink in the meat.
How to cook frozen hamburger patties in the air fryer
If you have frozen burger patties you can also use your air fryer to cook them up perfectly. You will need to heat your air fryer to 380°F and then cook them for 5 minutes, flip, and then continue cooking until they are completely cooked through.
With frozen meat, it will take longer for it to fully cook, so take that into consideration. I find that they usually take about 15 minutes to cook from frozen.
More Must-try Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Hamburgers
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 pound ground beef, 80/20
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- toppings, as desired
- Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes at 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix them lightly-- make sure not to pack the beef together too tightly.
- Divide the beef mixture into four patties-- press them down until they are no thicker than ½”.
- Place the burgers in the preheated air fryer basket and cook for 7 minutes. Check for doneness and cook longer if necessary. Internal temperature should reach 160°F.
- If making cheeseburgers, place one slice of cheese over each burger and cook for an additional 1 minute. Serve on buns with your desired toppings.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Leave a Reply