The grasshopper cocktail is a sweet and creamy mint chocolate dessert drink that is easy to make with just 3 ingredients.
If you are a fan of chocolate and mint treats like I am, you are going to fall in love with this easy grasshopper cocktail recipe.
The vintage after-dinner drink tastes like a boozy mint chocolate milkshake. It is no wonder that it is such a classic dessert drink!
The bright green color also makes the grasshopper perfect for St. Patrick’s Day.
Grasshopper Cocktail Ingredients
- Crème de menthe: This sweet mint-flavored liquor is available in both green and clear versions. You will want to opt for the green one to give your grasshopper drink its classic green color.
- Crème de cacao: A sweet chocolate-flavored liquor. Chocolate liqueur can be used instead. Just be sure to use one that is clear so that it will not take away from the bright green hue that you are going for.
- Cream: I find that light cream or half and half work well for this grasshopper cocktail recipe. Or for a thicker and richer cocktail, you can use heavy cream.
How to Make a Grasshopper Drink
Although not required, I always like to kick this cocktail up a notch with some fun garnishes such as a chocolate swirl on the inside of the glass and chocolate shavings on top.
Other garnish ideas include rimming the glass with chocolate syrup and topping the cocktail with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
Grasshopper Cocktail Variations
Flying Grasshopper: Looking for a stronger grasshopper drink recipe? Cut the cream to a 1/2 ounce and add 1 ounce of vodka.
Frozen Grasshopper: Skip the cream and blend your crème de menthe and crème de cacao with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or mint ice cream for a truly decadent dessert cocktail.
For a crowd: If making a pitcher of grasshoppers for a crowd, I recommend using a cup of each ingredient. Just make sure to shake and strain into glasses immediately before serving so they are served well-chilled.
If you like dessert cocktails, be sure to try this sweet and creamy boozy milkshake as well.
- 1 ounce creme de menthe
- 1 ounce creme de cacao or chocolate liqueur, white / clear
- 1 ounce cream or half and half
- chocolate sauce and/or chocolate shavings, optional garnish
- Add cocktail ingredients to a shaker filled with ice. Shake until chilled-- about 30 seconds.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup on the inside of a chilled cocktail glass (optional). Strain the cocktail into the glass. Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired. Serve immediately.
For a stronger cocktail add 1 ounce of vodka and cut the cream to 1/2 ounce.
To prepare grasshoppers for a crowd I would recommend using a cup of each ingredient. Then shake and strain into glasses immediately before serving so that they drinks are well-chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.