This boozy shamrock shake recipe is made with Baileys, whiskey, milk, and blended together with mint chocolate chip ice cream. The mint green adult milkshake is rich, creamy, and perfect for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.
Is it even St. Patrick’s Day without shamrock shakes?
Each year when February rolls around I start getting excited for the tasty treat’s annual arrival in the day’s lead up to St. Patrick’s Day.
But this year I decided to try something new and whip up a boozy version of the classic green milkshake.
And let me tell you, this green dessert cocktail is as delicious as it looks!
What Liquors to Use in a Boozy Shamrock Shake
- Baileys Irish Cream- a sweet and creamy whiskey-based liquor with a hint of chocolate flavor.
- Whiskey– We used Jameson, a blended Irish whiskey. But you can use your favorite whiskey.
How to Make a Boozy Shamrock Shake
Step 1: Blend the ice cream, milk, and liquors together until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Pour into glasses and garnish with whipped cream and any other desired toppings. We used a maraschino cherry and St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles.
Step 3: Serve immediately and enjoy.
- These boozy milkshakes are best when enjoyed immediately. I do not recommend making ahead.
- To get the perfect shake, check the consistency after blending and add more ice cream for a thicker shake or more milk if the shake is too thick.
- Skip the sprinkles and top your shakes with chopped Andes Mints or crushed Mint OREO cookies instead.
- Want to add extra mint flavor to your spiked shamrock shake? Try adding a drop or two of mint extract or a splash of Creme de Menthe.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you aren’t a fan of whiskey simple leave it out and increase the Baileys to 3 ounces. Or Try using 1 ounce of vodka in place of the whiskey instead.
More interested in spiking your shake than making one from scratch at home? That works too. Just add Baileys and/or Jameson, to taste.
More Cocktails to Try
- 4 cups (8 scoops) mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 2 ounces milk
- 2 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 ounce whiskey
- 8 drops green food coloring
- whipped cream, optional topping
- maraschino cherries, optional topping
- sprinkles, optional topping
- Add ice cream, milk, Baileys, and Jameson to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and top with whipped cream. Add sprinkles and a cherry, if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Shake too thick? Blend in more ice cream.
Shake too thin? Blend in a little more milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 791
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.