This cheesy chicken alfredo pasta bake is a savory, filling dish that combines creamy, cheesy alfredo with shredded chicken and tasty bacon, for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner.
Yes, you read that right. I said both alfredo and casserole in the same recipe.
This chicken alfredo casserole is the ultimate comfort food.
I mean, you have pasta, alfredo, bacon, cheese, and chicken together in one dish. How could you go wrong?
It’s a filling, comforting dinner that everyone in your house will love (and, if they’re like my family, will ask for every week!).
With the spices and the alfredo, it smells so good while it’s cooking that your stomach will be growling the whole time.
I love casseroles year-round, but especially during the cold winter months. There’s just something about the warm, tasty combination of flavors that is comforting and makes a great, relaxing way to end the day.
This Chicken Alfredo Casserole, in particular, is one of my all-time favorites. You can have it mixed up and in the oven in only a few minutes, or you can even make it and freeze it to have it ready in advance.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- It combines the flavors of alfredo and bacon with pasta and protein-packed chicken.
- It’s a comforting dinner dish that everyone will love.
- It’s covered in melty cheese.
- Because this chicken alfredo casserole is so hearty, it can be a meal itself. You can even add veggies if you like!
- You probably already have everything that you need to make it.
- It’s a great way to use leftover chicken.
- With this full pan of this chicken and bacon alfredo pasta bake, you can feed a crowd!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Shredded chicken – Cooked, shredded chicken. I like to make a big batch of crockpot shredded chicken and freeze it to have on hand for casseroles and the like but sometimes I pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store for an easy shortcut.
- Bacon– cooked and crumbled
- Ziti– cooked according to package directions
- Butter– either salted or unsalted are fine for this recipe
- Alfredo sauce– 2 jars of your favorite alfredo sauce
- Milk– Use whole milk or 2% for best results.
- Italian cheese blend– Kraft, Sargento, Tillamook, and Organic Valley all have Italian-Style cheese blends that would be great for this recipe.
- Seasonings– Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Parsley– I recommend using fresh, but you can use dried parsley if that is what you have on hand
Substitutions and Additions
Pasta: Any short pasta will work well for this dish. I have used ziti, penne, and rigatoni with success. However, I would avoid long, thin kinds of pasta such as spaghetti for this particular recipe.
Homemade alfredo: You can use your favorite homemade alfredo sauce recipe if you prefer that instead of jarred sauce.
Turkey bacon: Swap regular bacon for turkey bacon. Turkey bacon does tend to be a little chewier, so you may want to break it into smaller pieces.
How To Make This Chicken Bacon Alfredo Casserole
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
Step 2: In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together butter, alfredo sauce, and milk until the butter has melted completely. Add in 1 cup of shredded Italian cheese, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Step 3: In a casserole dish add cooked pasta, shredded chicken, and crumbled bacon. Toss all together.
Step 4: Pour alfredo sauce over casserole and mix until all pasta has been coated with sauce.
Step 5: Top with the remaining shredded cheese and garnish with additional fresh parsley, if desired.
Step 6: Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.
What to Serve/Pair with Your Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake
Because this chicken bacon alfredo pasta bake is so hearty and filling, it can serve as dinner on its own.
However, if you’re like me and try to get some veggies in when you can, you can pair this casserole with some brussels sprouts, broccoli, or a side salad.
If you want a dessert that is just as cozy and comforting as the casserole, try these chocolate chip cake mix cookies. They’re soft and chewy, and you’ll want to make them over and over again.
Storage and Reheating
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days when stored in an airtight container. To reheat, cover the baking dish with foil place it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until warm. For smaller portions, simply reheat in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until warm.
You can also freeze this chicken alfredo pasta casserole. It’s a great meal to keep made and on-hand for busy nights. In an air-tight container, it will last for up to 6 weeks in the freezer. Thaw completely in the fridge before reheating.
Chicken Alfredo Pasta Bake FAQs
For this specific casserole, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and spinach would taste wonderful. Just add them into your pasta mixture. You’ll love them with the alfredo!
Yes, you can. Before baking, let the casserole thaw out. I love to keep this casserole in the freezer for nights when I don’t feel like cooking!
Yes, rotisserie chicken is perfect for this casserole. If you want to save some time making this casserole, have some chicken cooked and shredded in the freezer. Then you can just thaw it out when you are ready to make your casserole.
More Tasty Casserole Recipes
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Cheeseburger Casserole
- Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
- Chicken Divan Casserole
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 (16 ounce) jars alfredo sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, divided
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together butter, alfredo sauce, and milk until the butter has melted completely. Add in 1 cup of shredded Italian cheese, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- In a casserole dish add cooked pasta, shredded chicken, and crumbled bacon. Toss all together.
- Pour alfredo sauce over casserole and mix until all pasta has been coated with sauce.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and garnish with additional fresh parsley, if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Any short pasta will work well for this dish: ziti, penne, macaroni, rigatoni, etc...
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1049
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.