Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This crockpot frito pie recipe with ground beef, enchilada sauce, beans, ROTEL, cheese, and crispy Fritos is a new twist on a comfort food classic.
With Southwest origins, Frito pie is not really a “pie” at all. It is a hearty and comforting casserole-style dish that is typically prepared on the stovetop and finished in the oven.
But sometimes it is more convenient to prep the meal ahead and let it slow cook in the crockpot while you do other things.
Making frito pie (or these cheesy sloppy joes) in the crockpot makes it great for parties and game day as well since you won’t have to leave your company (or the game) and spend time in the kitchen fixin’ something to eat.
The beef and bean mixture in this crockpot frito pie is similar to a thick chili, but with a more Mexican-inspired flavor thanks to the enchilada sauce and taco seasoning. For a more classic chili, give our popular crockpot chili recipe a try.
And the addition of crunchy, cheesy, corn chips on top is just perfection. For another tasty fritos recipe try this easy peanut butter fritos candy.
Give this crockpot frito casserole a try and I am sure that you will keep the easy recipe on hand to make it again and again.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- lean ground beef – or use ground turkey if you prefer
- red enchilada sauce – the recipe calls for one can but if you prefer your frito pie with more sauce you can add an additional half of a can
- black beans – feel free to swap for pinto beans or ranch style beans if you prefer
- Rotel – For less heat, reach for mild Rotel or swap for a can of regular diced tomatoes.
- Taco seasoning – We use a whole packet of taxo seasoning but if you want to cut the spice you can use less, maybe half a pack (1 Tbsp).
- Fritos corn chips
- cheddar cheese – Cheddar Jack or a Mexican cheese blend would work well too.
How to Make
- Brown beef with onion and garlic in a skillet on the stovetop.
- Transfer to crockpot and add beans, ROTEL, red enchilada sauce, and taco seasoning.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- Top with shredded cheese and Fritos 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Optional Frito Pie Toppings
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- sliced avocado or guacamole
- additional shredded cheese
- sliced black olives
- diced tomatoes
Refrigerate leftover frito pie in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More Tex-Mex Inspired Dinner Ideas
- Cheesy Taco Pasta Bake
- Beef Enchilada Pasta
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken – only 3 ingredients!
- One-Pot Taco Spaghetti
Crockpot Frito Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 10-ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning 1 packet
- 1 9.25-ounce bag Fritos
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef with onions and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is cooked through and no longer pink. Use your spoon to stir and break up the ground beef as much as possible as it cooks. Drain grease if necessary and transfer to the crockpot.
- Add beans, Rotel, red enchilada sauce, and taco seasoning to the crockpot. Stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours.
- After that time, stir the contents of the crockpot then top with half of the cheese, followed by the Fritos, and finally the remaining cheese. Place the lid back on to allow the cheese to melt a bit before serving (about 10 minutes).
- Serve warm and enjoy.