Air fryer chocolate chip cookies are the perfect quick and easy chocolatey treat. Made completely in the air fryer, a batch of these crispy and gooey cookies can be whipped up in just 15 minutes without even turning on the oven!
Chocolate chip cookies are a home baker’s bread and butter. They’re sweet, chewy, rich, and chocolatey; basically the perfect well-rounded dessert. I must make my chocolate chip cake mix cookies and traditional oven-baked chocolate chip cookies at least once a month. No one can seem to get enough of them!
What if I told you that there’s an even easier and quicker way to whip up a batch of gourmet-tasting chocolate chip cookies? Simply use the air fryer!
Like my air fryer donuts, air fryer pretzel bites, and air fryer cinnamon rolls, these air fryer chocolate chip cookies are just as delicious as the traditional version but can be made in a fraction of the time—just 15 minutes!
This makes them perfect for when unexpected guests drop by, or you simply need something sweet and chocolatey ASAP!
I like to have air fryer cookie dough prepared and in my freezer so that I can whip up a small batch of warm, homemade chocolate chip cookies at a moment’s notice.
Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookie Ingredients
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- All-Purpose Flour—Creates the perfect chewy base for these cookies. A whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour blend may also be used.
- Unsalted Butter—Adds tons of flavor and richness without adding too much salt. Softened, not melted, is best.
- Sugars—A mixture of brown and granulated sugars create that classic light molasses flavor that you look for in a good chocolate chip cookie.
- An Egg—The main binding agent used to add moisture and help your air fryer cookies hold their shape.
- Vanilla Extract—For a real treat try using Mexican vanilla, but any pure vanilla extract will do.
- Chocolate Chips—I like to use mini chocolate chips to ensure that you get a bit of gooey, rich chocolate in every bite. That said, regular semi-sweet choclate chips can also be used if you prefer.
Equipment You’ll Need
The main piece of kitchen equipment that you’ll need to make these chocolate chip air fryer cookies is, of course, an air fryer. Other than that, plan on only needing the most basic baking tools. You’ll want to have a set of mixing bowls, a whisk or electric mixer, a rubber spatula, a cookie scoop, and some parchment paper.
How to Make the Best Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add the vanilla extract and egg and mix until smooth. Set aside.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until no clumps of flour remain.
Step 3: Use your rubber spatula to gently fold in the mini chocolate chips.
Step 4: Portion the dough using a cookie scoop and roll it into balls. Place 1-inch apart onto the parchment-lined basket of your air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer you will likely have to cook them in batches of 4-6 at a time.
Step 5: Air fry the chocolate chip cookies until they’re golden brown and crispy on the edges.
Step 6: Allow the cookies to cool in the air fryer basket for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Then enjoy!
Have you seen my how to make air fryer cookies story?
Storing and Freezing
To Store: Place any leftover air fryer chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container and store on the counter for up to 5 days.
To Freeze: Allow your cookies to cool completely before placing them into a ziplock bag and storing them in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can also freeze the cookie dough in balls and simply pop one or two into the air fryer when you’re craving something sweet and chocolatey.
Frequently Asked Questions
Compared to traditional oven-baked chocolate chip cookies, air fryer chocolate chip cookies are crispier on the outside, yet wonderfully gooey on the inside.
I find parchment paper to be the best thing to use to line the basket of your air fryer. Wax paper is a big no-go and aluminum foil will work, but may affect the way your cookies bake.
They will be deep golden brown—more so than a normal cookie—but not burnt! They will still seem a bit raw in the middle, but don’t worry! If you allow the cookies to sit in air fryer basket for a few minutes before you transfer them to a cooling rack, they will set up quite nicely.
Not for this air fryer chocolate chip cookie recipe. In fact, you might want to let the air fryer cool for a minute or two between batches to avoid making cookies that are burnt on the outside but still raw in the middle.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- I recommend buying parchment paper that’s already cut down to air fryer size—it makes everything so much easier!
- Air fryers cook by rapidly circulating hot air around your food. To ensure that the air still flows efficiently, try poking some holes into your parchment paper.
- The time it takes to bake these cookies can vary depending on the size of your air fryer. We used a Cosori 5.8-quart air fryer.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line your air fryer tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla extract and egg, mixing until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a 2 Tbsp cookie scoop to portion out dough and roll to form a ball.
- Working in batches, place 4-5 balls of dough into the air fryer basket. Air fry the cookies at 300° F for 7 minutes.
- Remove the air fryer basket from the air fryer and allow the cookies to cool in the basket for minutes 5 before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
Air fryer cook times may vary depending on the brand and air fryer size.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.