These crockpot glazed carrots might be the easiest holiday side dish ever! Freshly peeled carrots are slow cooked in a brown sugar glaze to create this sweet and savory veggie side dish.
When your oven is full of roasting turkey and your stovetop is crowded with boiling potatoes and steaming vegetables, save some oven space and use your slow cooker to make these dump-and-go crockpot carrots with a brown sugar garlic glaze.
All you need to get started are some regular carrots, brown sugar, butter, a few spices, and 10 minutes of your time. Once you prep this dish, you can walk away and let the crockpot work its magic. Come dinner time, you’ll have a pot full of warm, sweet, brown sugar carrots cooked to tender perfect ready for everyone to enjoy.
These brown sugar glazed carrots pair well with just about any main dish. Try serving them alongside some creamy garlic chicken, cracker barrel meatloaf, or my praline glazed ham for a delicious side dish.
This elegant side dish is sure to dress up any holiday or Sunday dinner table. You can even customize this dish to make it vegan or include some of your favorite spices or even other root vegetables.
Trust me, these crockpot glazed carrots are sure to become a family favorite and go-to for holiday dinners.
You’ll love this slow cooker glazed carrots recipe because it’s…
- Made with a handful of simple ingredients.
- Easy to make ahead of time and reheat.
- A set-it-and-forget-it recipe.
- Sweet, salty, and savory.
- A great option for busy weeknights.
- A perfect side dish for a big holiday meal like Christmas dinner, Easter, or Thanksgiving dinner.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Carrots— Raw carrots, peeled and chopped. A bag of baby carrots can be used as well.
- Brown Sugar— Creates a thick, sweet glaze.
- Butter— Adds just the right amount of richness.
- Spices— A blend of minced garlic, salt, and fresh thyme will give these plain carrots a deep aromatic flavor. Fresh parsley can be used in place of thyme, if desired.
Equipment You’ll Need
These simple glazed carrots are a super easy side dish that can be made with just a few common kitchen tools! Aside from your crockpot, you’ll only need a vegetable peeler, a chef’s knife, a small mixing bowl, a whisk, and a wooden spoon.
How to Make Glazed Carrots in the Crockpot
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Place chopped carrots in the crockpot.
Step 2: In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, melted butter, minced garlic, and salt. Pour the glaze over the carrots and toss to coat.
Step 3: Cover and cook on high until the carrots are fork tender. Open the cover of the slow cooker and give the carrots a stir once or twice while they are cooking, if you can.
Step 4: Serve warm, with a garnish of fresh thyme (optional).
Allow your slow cooker glazed carrots to cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. These carrots will stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 10 months. Just be sure to let any frozen carrots completely thaw before reheating them.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- You can use either regular carrots or baby carrots in this recipe. Regular carrots will look the best when peeled. However, peeling isn’t mandatory.
- Not in a hurry? You can cook these slow cooker glazed carrots on low for 5-6 hours instead of on high.
- I recommend serving these sweet carrots with a little extra glaze drizzled over the top.
- Did you know that you can make these crockpot carrots vegan? Simply swap out the butter for some coconut oil, olive oil, or your favorite plant-based butter.
- Skip (or cut back on) the brown sugar and use a bit of maple syrup or honey instead.
- Love the combination of sweet and spicy? You can easily add some spice to these glazed carrots by tossing in some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Try this great recipe with other root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, beets, or radishes.
Slow Cooker Carrots FAQ
Your carrots are fork tender when they can be easily pierced with a fork.
Yes! Store the premade glazed carrots in the fridge overnight. The next day, reheat the carrots in the crockpot on low or in a buttered frying pan over medium heat.
Absolutely! To do this, add all the glaze ingredients to a pan over medium-high heat. Cook until boiling, then add the carrots and toss well to coat. Continue cooking until the carrots are fork tender. Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Yes! Both raw and cooked carrots contain lots of nutrients and vitamins, including vitamin K.
More Holiday Side Dishes
Crockpot Glazed Carrots
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 2 pounds carrots, ends trimmed off and sliced into 2” chunks
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh thyme or fresh parsley, finely chopped, optional garnish
- Add chopped carrots to the crockpot
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk to combine the brown sugar, melted butter, minced garlic, and salt. Pour the brown sugar mixture over the top of the carrots and toss to coat.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until carrots are tender. Give the carrots a stir once or twice while slow cooking, if possible.
- Spoon the glaze over the carrots. Serve warm, garnished with chopped thyme, if desired.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.