Farmer’s casserole with ham and hash browns is an easy, delicious, and filling overnight breakfast casserole, perfect to serve up for a big family or hungry crowd.
The easy breakfast bake combines all of your favorite breakfast ingredients–eggs, hash browns, ham, and cheese- into one incredible dish.
The delicious farmer’s casserole recipe is perfect for Christmas morning, Thanksgiving morning, Easter brunch, or to serve up for weekend brunch any time of the year.
I can’t think of a better way to start a busy morning than with a hearty breakfast casserole.
And when it comes to breakfast, there’s nothing easier than layering all of your favorite breakfast ingredients into a baking dish and having the oven do the rest of the work.
Not only is this farmers breakfast casserole recipe very simple to make, but all of the prep can even be done the night before.
That way all that you will have to do the next day is pop the farmers casserole into the oven. What a dream!
Why You’ll Love This Farmer’s Breakfast Casserole
- It can be prepared the night before.
- It’s hearty and filling (and cheesy!).
- It combines all of your breakfast faves all in one dish.
- It’s a great, easy option to serve for family gatherings.
- It’s packed with flavor.
- It even tastes great leftover.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- eggs– you will need 8 large eggs for this recipe
- frozen hash browns– we used Ore Ida but you can use any brand of diced or shredded frozen hashbrowns
- shredded cheese– we used Colby Jack but you can switch it up with cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or even Pepper Jack cheese (gives a nice kick!).
- diced ham– leftover ham is perfect for this recipe
- evaporated milk– can be found in the baking aisle. Whole or 2% work best for this recipe.
- green onion– can be omitted if you aren’t a fan
- salt & pepper
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Egg substitute– 2 cups of egg substitute can be used in place of fresh eggs.
- Bacon– Sprinkle some bacon bits or crumbled bacon on top before baking
- Hot Sauce– If you like your breakfast with a little bit of spice.
- Diced peppers– Seeded and diced red bell pepper or jalapeno peppers make a tasty addition to this breakfast bake.
- Garlic powder – Are you a garlic lover? Go ahead and add up to 1 teaspoon of garlic powder to the egg mixture.
How To Make Farmer’s Casserole
Step 1: Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Then spread the shredded hash brown potatoes evenly along the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle cheese on top followed by the cubed ham and green onions.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the baking dish.
Step 3: Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight, or until ready to bake.
Step 4: Bake as directed in the recipe card below. Allow the casserole to stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Refrigerator: This ham and egg breakfast casserole keeps well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure that you store the casserole in a sealed, air-tight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap.
Freezer: You can also freeze this casserole in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. Allow it to cool completely before placing it in the freezer. Thaw it completely in the fridge before reheating.
To Reheat: Cover with foil and place in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until warm. For smaller portions, pop them in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until warm.
What to Serve/Pair with Farmer’s Breakfast Casserole
I like to start my day with fruit, even if I have a casserole as filling as this one. Enjoy your casserole with a seasonal fruit mix, or if you want something a little more fun, with these Easy Breakfast Yogurt Popsicles. They’re packed with berries and kids love them!
If you are a breakfast sandwich fan, try putting your casserole inside one of these Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits. These will be your new favorite biscuits and even make a great side.
Need a caffeine boost along with your breakfast? Make this Caramel Frappuccino (Easy 5-Ingredients). It’s sweet, tasty, and will give you the boost that you need for your busy day without having to make a pit stop at the coffee shop.
Farmer’s Casserole FAQs
Sure. Diced bell peppers, spinach, or sundried tomatoes would be a great addition to this easy breakfast casserole. You just won’t want to add too many veggies or any that will put out too much liquid when they are baked.
I recommend sticking with evaporated milk for this recipe. Regular milk is thinner and will result in a watery casserole.
Yes, you can. I love the combination of flavors in this casserole with ham, but you can substitute it with your favorite breakfast meat. If you use sausage or bacon, be sure to cook them before mixing them into your casserole.
The top of the casserole will firm up when it is done and a knife inserted in the center will come out clean.
More Tasty Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
- Sheet Pan Breakfast Pizza
- Easy Monkey Bread
- Brioche French Toast
- Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- TikTok Cinnamon Rolls
- Sausage Breakfast Calzones
- 6 cups frozen hash browns
- 2 cups diced, cooked ham
- 1 ½ cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 8 large eggs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Prep a 9x13-baking dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Spread the frozen hash browns evenly along the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with ham, cheese, and green onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk to combine eggs, evaporated milk, salt, and pepper. Pour into the baking dish. Top with green onions, if desired.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight, or until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F. Uncover the casserole and bake for 1 hour or until the center is set and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.