Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Calling all brownie lovers and chocolate chip cookie lovers! We’re combining the two to make the most epic dessert bars you’ve ever had. This easy brookie bar recipe is soon to become one of your favorite desserts!
What’s better than a fudgy brownie or chewy chocolate chip cookies? Not much, except these heavenly homemade brookies that meld the two classic desserts together to create the ultimate dessert recipe.
The best part is how easy this great recipe is to make. All you need is a box of brownie mix, store-bought cookie dough and about 40 minutes.
Give my easy brookie recipe a try and I am sure you will agree that this delicious treat is the perfect recipe for any occasion. Think potlucks, parties, and celebrations. Bring a batch of brookie cookie bars and you’ll be the talk of the gathering!
Although you really don’t need a reason to whip up a batch of homemade brookies. They are an amazing treat for any day.
Want to try another incredible dessert bar recipe? Try these delicious s’mores brownies!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Box of Brownie Mix— We love Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Brownie Mix but you can pick your favorite brand. You will also need any ingredients called for on the box, likely an egg, oil, and water. You could also use this one-bowl brownie recipe.
- Tube of Cookie Dough— You could also whip up a bag of cookie dough mix or even homemade chocolate chip cookie dough. But if you are looking for an easy recipe go ahead and grab the premade stuff.
Note: Although a glass pan was used in the photos, I find that these brookie bars actually bake best in a metal pan like this one. That said, either will work. Although a glass pan may take a bit longer to bake through.
How to make brownie cookie bars
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1. Heat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, allowing it to overhang on two sides for easy removal. Spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
Step 2. In a large bowl, prepare the boxed brownie mix according to package directions.
Note: if you had a second egg you can get a more cake-like brownie!
Step 3. Spread brownie mix into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
Step 4. Take chunks of cookie dough and lightly place them into the brownie layer.
Step 5. Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cookie pieces turn a nice golden brown and the brownies are nearly cooked through–but still slightly moist. Set the dish on a wire rack and allow it to cool fully.
Step 6. Use the parchment paper to gently remove the brookie bars and place them on a cutting board. Slice, serve and enjoy as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a real treat!
Room temperature: Just like classic brownies and chocolate chip cookies, these chocolate chip cookie brownie bars are great for making ahead and can be stored at room temperature for several days. Place fully cooled brownie and cookie bars in an airtight container or on a plate covered tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Freezer: The easy brownie cookie bars can be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, place fully cooled bars in an air-tight, freezer bag or freezer-safe container, using wax paper to separate the layers to prevent them from freezing together.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Add texture. Add some more texture and flavor to your brookie bar recipe by adding more chocolate chips (dark, milk, or even white chips, etc), or add in nuts of your choice, if desired.
- Jazz up that boxed brownie mix. Make your boxed brownie mix taste more like homemade by replacing the water called for on the box with milk. You can also try adding a bit of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Make extra to have on hand. It’s incredibly simple to double this recipe to make more to feed a crowd. You can also make a batch for now and freeze a batch for later.
- Chocolate Obsessed? After you have pulled the bars out of the oven, before they start to cool, drizzle chocolate sauce across the top of the brookie cookies for even more flavor.
Brookie Bars: Frequently Asked Questions
This typically happens if you add an extra egg to your brownie batter or if you over-mix your brownie batter. Mix the batter until it is just combined. However, a cake-like brownie isn’t a bad
thing–some actually prefer it!
No. But if you’re looking for a super easy brookies recipe, using boxed brownies and premade dough is where it’s at. But, feel free to use your own recipe for brownies if desired.
Wait until your brownies (or brookies) have cooled fully before removing them from the pan. This will help prevent them from breaking apart when removing and slicing.
Now that you see just how quick and easy it is to make a tasty dessert like these fantastic chocolate chip cookie brownies, it’s time to grab the ingredients and get to baking.
More delicious dessert bars
- Christmas cookie bars
- Lemon bars
- Sugar cookie bars – soft-baked and frosted!
- Peanut butter chocolate chip cookie bars
- Homemade twix bars
- Funfetti cookie bars – using boxed mix
- Fall spice bars
- 1 18 ounce box brownie mix
- ingredients called for on brownie mix box
- 1 16.4 ounce roll of refrigerated cookie dough
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, allowing it to overhang on two sides for easy removal. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the boxed brownie mix according to package directions and spread into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Take chunks of cookie dough and lightly place them into the top of the brownie batter. You can use as much or as little as you like. I typically use around ⅔ of the package.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cookie pieces turn a nice golden brown and the brownies are nearly cooked through–but slightly moist.
- Set the dish on a wire rack and allow it to completely cool before removing, slicing, and serving.
- Enjoy as is or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a real treat!