Homemade Twix bars (aka Millionaire Bars) have a buttery shortbread crust, a thick gooey caramel center, and a generous layer of chocolate on top.
If you are a fan of delicious Twix candy bars (who isn’t?!) you are going to love this easy copycat Twix bar recipe.
The combination of chocolate, caramel, and shortbread is absolutely heavenly and will have everyone begging you for the recipe.
Chocolate and caramel desserts are some of my husband and I’s favorites.
Try cool and creamy Snickers salad, rich and chewy Carmelitas, or this homemade Twix bars recipe and you too won’t be able to deny that chocolate and caramel are a match made in heaven.
Millionaire Bars? Twix Bars?
I have heard these chocolate caramel dessert bars referred to as Twix bars, millionaire bars, and even millionaire’s shortbread.
Whatever you call them, one thing is for certain: they are ridiculously delicious. And pretty easy to make as well!
Homemade Twix Bar Ingredients
Start by gathering everything that you will need: butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, soft caramel candies, heavy cream, chocolate chips, and coconut oil.
How to Make Homemade Twix Bars
Three layers of deliciousness.
Easy to make in 4 simple steps.
- Make shortbread base. Combine butter, sugar, and flour and bake to form the perfect shortbread crust.
- Add the caramel layer. Melt soft caramel candies and cream in a saucepan on the stovetop. Pour over the shortbread base and allow to set.
- Top with chocolate. Add a bit of coconut oil to your chocolate and melt in the microwave. Pour over the caramel and top with a sprinkle of sea salt, if desired.
- Set, slice, and enjoy! Chill to allow the chocolate to set. Then slice and serve.
The hardest part is waiting for the chocolate to set before digging in. But trust me these babies are worth the wait!
Feel free to use your favorite homemade caramel recipe in place of the caramel candies– just make sure it’s a recipe that will set into a nice solid layer.
I used milk chocolate in this recipe with a dark chocolate drizzle– but use whatever chocolate you have on hand! Milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and dark chocolate are all excellent options.
The shortbread layer will look too thin for the pan but trust me, it will rise during baking to the perfect thickness!
Run your knife under hot water before slicing to ensure fast, clean cuts.
You can cut the bars in either long narrow rectangles–similar to actual Twix candy bars–or in wider rectangles like you would cut a typical dessert bar recipe.
Store the bars in the fridge, covered, for up to one week. Remove from the fridge and allow them to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before servings. This helps the caramel to soften up a bit.
Want to make a double batch? Just double all ingredients and use a 9 x 13 pan.
More delicious dessert bars
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Grandma’s PB&J bars
- Funfetti bars
- Unicorn bars
- Oatmeal lemon creme bars
- Chocolate chip cookie brownie bars
- Harvest spice bars
Homemade Twix Bars
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
Shortbread Base Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Caramel Layer Ingredients:
- 11 ounces soft caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
Chocolate Layer Ingredients:
- 12 ounces chocolate
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Flake salt, to taste (optional)
- For the Shortbread Base
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Add the softened butter and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Next, mix in the vanilla and then add the flour gradually. Mix just until all of the flour is incorporated.
- Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Pat the dough into the dish.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges are starting to turn golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- For the Caramel Layer
- Add the soft caramels and heavy cream to a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until melted-- about 5 minutes. Pour over the shortbread base.
- Place the shortbread and caramel in the fridge to cool until hardened-- about 1 hour.
- For the Chocolate Layer
- Combine the chocolate and coconut oil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 30 second intervals until fully melted. Pour over the hardened caramel and top with flake sea salt, if using. Place the bars back into the fridge to chill until the chocolate has fully set-- about 4-6 hours.
- When the chocolate has fully hardened, slice the bars into your desired size and enjoy. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Pin for Later
This recipe was shared on The Weekend Potluck.
Seriously, can not wait to make these! We are HUGE Twix fans in our home, so I have no doubt that these will be a huge hit.
These were soooo delicious. I recommend them to anyone that is wanting to try them. The only downside is caramel and a toddler don’t mix. Thank goodness for local carpet cleaners! I will definitely be adding this as a go-to recipe.
What could I use instead of heavy cream in the Caramel? Full fat coconut milk?
Jaclyn Shimmel says
I haven’t tired with coconut milk myself but I think it should be fine.