Made with vodka and layers of red, white, and blue gelatin, these delicious 4th of July jello shots will be the talk of your 4th of July party!
While I am not typically a big fan of vodka, I do love vodka Jello shots. They are delish and go down so smoothly!
These patriotic layered Jello shots are a fun and tasty way to celebrate the 4th of July.
Plus, they are easy to make. All you need is some time.
Each layer takes 2 hours to set, making the set time for the entire recipe 6 hours.
Don’t let that scare you though–just plan on making your jello shots the day before your party or celebration. That way you can do the final chill overnight plus you won’t have to worry about preparing them the day of your event.
Don’t rush it: Not letting the layers chill long enough or not letting the hot gelatin mixture cool down before adding to cups can cause the colors to run between the layers.
Less vodka: You can substitute a portion of the vodka called for in the recipe with cold water. For example, try 3/4 cups vodka and 1/4 cup cold water in each layer for weaker jello shots.
Switch it up: Use different colors of Jello for different holiday combos, like red and green for Christmas for example.
More 4th of July recipes
For a non-alcoholic red white and blue jello treat for those under 21, try these 4th of July Jello Cups.
- 1 (3 oz.) box of Strawberry Jello mix
- 1 (3 oz.) box of Berry Blue Jello mix
- 2 packets of Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups boiling water, divided
- 2 cups vodka, divided
- whipped cream and maraschino cherries, optional
- Prep: Place jello shot cups in a baking dish to make them easy to transfer to and from the refrigerator. Clear a place in your fridge for the baking dish
- Red layer: In a medium bowl, stir well to combine strawberry jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water. Once Jello dissolves, add 1 cup vodka, and stir. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then pour into the cups, filling them each about ⅓ of the way. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
- White layer: In a medium bowl, combine 2 packets of unflavored knox gelatin and 2 cups of boiling water. Once the gelatin is dissolved, add sweetened condensed milk and stir well. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Add to the cups, filling another ⅓ of the way. Refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- Blue layer: In a medium bowl, combine berry blue jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water. Once dissolved, stir in 1 cup of vodka. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Add the final blue layer to the cups, filling just under the top of the cups. Refrigerate for at least 2 more hours (can refrigeratre overnight).
- Serve: Before serving top with whipped cream and maraschino cherries, if desired.
Be sure to let each layer set before adding the next, otherwise the colors could run. Likewise with allowing the hot gelatin mixute for cool before pouring it on top of another layer.
For weaker shots substitute a portion of the vodka called for in the recipe with cold water. For example, try ¾ cups vodka and ¼ cup cold water in each layer.