These firecracker cupcakes are a fun and festive 4th of July party dessert with red, white, and blue firework cupcake toppers made of paper straws and candy.
For more sweet 4th of July treats check out my easy flag cake, red, white, and blue Jello cups and 4th of July ice cream cone cupcakes.
For even more easy 4th of July dessert ideas, check out these 4th of July fruit recipes.
Firecracker Cupcakes Ingredients
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Vanilla cupcakes– prepared, unfrosted cupcakes. You can make your cupcakes from scratch or use a boxed cake mix. Either will work just fine for this recipe.
- White frosting– You could use vanilla frosting or cream cheese frosting instead but I have found the white frosting makes the perfect backdrop for the firework cupcake topper.
- White Candy Melts– Either candy melts or white chocolate melting wafers will work here.
- Pop Rocks– Strawberry and Tropical Punch Pop Rocks popping candy make a colorful addition to these independence day cupcakes, and they even set off “fireworks” in your mouth as well! If you can’t find them you can always order them on Amazon.
- Cookies ‘n’ Creme Hershey Kisses- or any other white chocolate Kisses you can find.
- Life Saver Gummies– Unfortunately you can’t find both red and blue gummies in the same variety so you will need to pick up both the regular bag (for the red) and the “neon” gummies variety for the blue).
- Life Saver Mints– available at most grocery stores or pharmacies but you can also order them in a pinch.
- Sprinkles– we used a combo of red, white, and blue jimmies and star sprinkles.
- Paper straws– these patriotic paper straws are perfect
How to Make 4th of July Firecracker Cupcakes
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Frost cupcakes with white frosting and add sprinkles.
Step 2: Add 1 cup of the white chocolate melts to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second increments, stirring well in between each, until smooth and melted. Dip each kiss into the melted white chocolate, place it on parchment or wax paper, and sprinkle with Pop Rocks candy. Set aside to allow the coated kisses to set.
Pro tip: Make to add the Pop Rocks to the kisses immediately after dipping them in white chocolate so that they stick well before it begins to set.
Step 3: Cut each straw to the desired length for your cupcake toppers.
Step 4: Once the kisses have set, melt another cup of the white chocolate melts. Thread Life Savers onto each straw in a red, white and blue pattern as shown in the images below. Then, place a bit of melted chocolate on top of the blue Life Savers to use as “glue” to stick the Kisses on top.
Step 5: Allow the firecracker straws to set.
Step 6: Once the melted chocolate has fully set, push a firework straw down gently into the center of each cupcake, with the Kisses pointing up in the air at a slight angle.
That’s it! Your Firecracker cupcakes for Fourth of July are now ready to serve!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
That said, I do recommend assembling these patriotic cupcakes as close as possible to serving. With the candy fireworks coming out of the top, storage can be difficult. Plus, gravity begins to pull the fireworks down after a while.
If you want to prep this 4th of July dessert ahead of time you can make and frost your cupcakes as well as assemble the candy firecrackers up to a day in advance. Store seperatly in airtight containers then place the toppers on the cupcakes just before serving.
More red, white, and blue treats ideas
- 4th of July red, white, and blue fudge
- Strawberry firecracker pops
- Red, white, and blue yogurt popsicles
I hope that you enjoy this 4th of July cupcake recipe and that you and your family have a happy and safe 4th of July!
4th of July Firecracker Cupcakes
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 12 cupcakes, prepared according to instructions on box
- 1 tub white frosting
- 2 cups white chocolate melting discs
- 1 package Blue Pop Rocks
- 1 package Red Pop Rocks
- 12 Cookies 'n' Creme Hershey Kisses, or white Kisses
- 12 red Life Savers Gummies
- 12 blue Life Savers Gummies, Neon
- 12 Life Savers mints
- patriotic sprinkles
- Top cupcakes with white frosting and add sprinkles.
- Add 1 cup of the white chocolate melts to a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30-second increments, stirring well in between each, until smooth and melted. Dip each kiss into the melted white chocolate, place it on parchment or wax paper, and sprinkle with Pop Rocks candy. Set aside to allow the coated kisses to set.
- Cut each straw to desired length for your cupcakes.
- Once the kisses have set, melt another cup of the white chocolate melts. Thread Life Savers onto each straw in a red, white and blue pattern as shown in the images below. Then, place a bit of melted chocolate on top of the blue Life Savers to use as “glue” to stick the Kisses on top.
- Allow the melted candy on the firecracker straws to set.
- Once the melted chocolate has fully set, push a firework straw down gently into each cupcake, with the Kisses pointing up in the air at a slight angle.
- Serve and enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Naomie Moore, Castaic, CA says
Just darling! Love how festive they look. Great job! ❤
Margaret Appel says
I really like these 4th of July cupcakes. The kids would love them! With a little color variation, something similar could be done for New Year’s Eve too.
Robin Creager says
This would look so colorful at any 4th of July party or get together. Very creative and mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing this recipe!
These cupcakes look so yummy and it is a good idea for other affairs too, like my birthday coming up soon. 😀
Pat F says
Super cute, super easy. Will be adding the ingredients to my grocery list for an upcoming cook out. Thank you for sharing this with us!
Cathy Jarolin says
Your 4th of July Cup Cakes are definitely colored up for the right Holiday. They look so lovely and Patriotic. I would love to make these next 4th for our annual Family and friend Holiday!! Thank You for sharing these lovely Patriotic Cupcakes…
BILL HOFF says
We are always looking for different treats to prepare the grand kids…and me!
These are super cute. I love that they are actually doable too.