Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are a quick and easy no-bake dessert bar made with creamy peanut butter, marshmallows, and rice krisipes.
The chewy, gooey bars are finished off with a chocolate and peanut butter topping that I believe makes them the best peanut butter Rice Krispie treats ever.
Chocolate and peanut butter is a classic flavor combination that does not disappoint. That is why peanut butter cookie cups, chocolate peanut butter no-bake cookies, and these peanut butter rice krispie treats are always such a hit at parties. People simply can’t turn down that chocolate peanut buttery goodness.
Sure traditional rice Krispie treats are delicious, but sometimes it is fun to shake things up with a fun rice krispie treat variety. That is where this peanut butter rice krispie treats recipe comes in.
Plus you are going to love how quick and easy these no-bake dessert bars are super easy to make using just a handful of simple ingredients.
For another no-bake dessert with a similar flavor profile, try these delicious peanut butter balls with rice krispies.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Unsalted butter
- Creamy peanut butter— I used Jif No Sugar Added Creamy Peanut Butter. Any kind of peanut butter or other nut butter should be fine to use. Keep in mind some nut butters have a higher oil content and may make your treats a bit stickier.
- Miniature marshmallows— you can substitute with an equal amount of regular-sized marshmallows if you prefer.
- Vanilla extract
- Rice Krispies cereal— any brand of rice cereal will work. A 9 ounce box will give you more than enough cereal for this recipe.
- Semisweet chocolate chips— these treats are quite sweet so I do recommend sticking with semisweet chocolate. Dark chocolate would also be delicious!
- Peanut butter baking chips— I used Reese’s baking chips.
- Coconut oil or vegetable shortening— this ingredient helps the chocolate melt smoothly. I have found that both coconut oil and vegetable shortening work really well here.
Nothing fancy here. Just your typical baking supplies.
For this recipe you will need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 9×13 inch baking dish
- Large pot or dutch oven
- Mixing bowls and spoons
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and peanut butter over medium-low heat, stirring often.
Step 2: When the butter and peanut butter are melted and smooth, add in the miniature marshmallows. Stir often and heat until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
Step 3: Stir the rice krispies cereal into the marshmallow mixture until well-combined.
Step 4: Gently press the cereal mixture into a lightly buttered 9×13 inch baking dish.
Step 5: Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and coconut oil or shortening to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on 50% power, 30 seconds at a time, until melted and smooth. Stir well after each increment.
Step 6: Spread the melted chocolate over the rice krispies treats and allow it to sit at room temperature until set before cutting into bars.
Store these Peanut Butter Rice Krispy treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
How to Make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats in the Microwave
No stovetop, no worries! In a pinch, you can make these bars using only your microwave!
- Add the butter and marshmallows to a large microwavable bowl.
- Microwave for 1-minute intervals on 50% power, stirring in between each interval until smooth and combined.
- Stir in the peanut butter and vanilla, followed by the Rice Krispies.
- Press into a prepared 9 x 13 pan and follow the directions in the recipe card to prepare the topping.
Tips for the Best Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Extra chocolatey treats. Try making your bars with cocoa krispies cereal instead for added chocolate flavor.
- Don’t overcook the marshmallows. Remove the marshmallows from heat as soon as they are melted and smooth. They will become hard if you overcook them.
- Grease up your hands. It is much easier to press the mixture into the pan if you spray your hands with non-stick cooking spray first or seperate your hands from the sticky rice cereal mixture with a sheet of parchment or wax paper. This will help to keep the sticky rice cereal mixture from sticking to them.
- Don’t press down too hard. It may be tempting to press down really firmly on the peanut butter cereal mixture, but please don’t. It will cause the bars to become too dense and firm.
- Slice quicker with this shortcut. If you are in a hurry to slice your bars you can set the pan in the refrigerator to help the topping set up quicker.
- Choose your size. These peanut butter dessert bars are perfect for serving up at parties or celebrations. We typically slice them up into 12 large bars but you could totally cut them into smaller bars to stretch them out for a party or event. Especially if you are serving them up to kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Refrigerating these treats will make them dry and hard so I recommend storing them at room temperature.
To prevent hard rice krispie treats make sure you don’t overcook your marshmallows. Remove them from the heat as soon as they are completely melted. Also, make sure you don’t press too hard when spreading them in the pan. When you press them in too hard they can become very dense and hard. Finally, store them at room temperature in an airtight container.
Yes! While they taste best fresh, these tasty treats can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 2 months. Before freezeing, place a piece of parchment or wax paper between layers to prevent sticking.
Kellogg’s Rice Krispies are not gluten-free when purchased in the United States. If you want to make these treats gluten-free use a brand of crispy rice cereal that is gluten-free such as Malt-o-Meal, One Degree, or Nature’s Path. (And make sure all your other ingredients are GF as well.)
More easy no bake desserts
- Strawberry Jello Pie
- Blueberry Delight
- No-Bake Eclair Cake
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Dip
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie
- Best Ever Banana Pudding Pie
Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 10 ounce bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter baking chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- Lightly butter a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and peanut butter over medium-low heat, stirring often.
- When the butter and peanut butter are melted and smooth, add in the miniature marshmallows. Stir often and heat until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Stir the rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture until well-combined.
- Gently press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan.
- Add the chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and coconut oil or shortening to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on 50% power, 30 seconds at a time, until melted and smooth. Stir well after each increment.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the rice krispies treats and allow to sit at room temperature until set before cutting into bars.