Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Made with coffee liqueur, Irish Cream liqueur, vodka, strawberries, and vanilla ice cream, this frozen strawberry mudslide is an adult milkshake that’s as tasty as it is pretty!
Whether you’re looking for a Valentine’s Day cocktail or something fruity and boozy to cool you down during happy hour on a hot summer day, this strawberry mudslide has you covered. It’s like a strawberry milkshake, but for grownups — made with Baileys, Kahlua, and vodka for a creamy, boozy drink you’ll love sipping on.
This creamy cocktail is the perfect drink to share with someone you love or to make for a Galentine’s Day get-together. Pretty, pink, and packs a boozy kick. What could be better?
Our Pink Moscato Sangria and Strawberry Jello Shots are perfect for Valentine’s Day, too. You can even make kid-friendly versions by substituting any of the alcohol with sparkling water or fruit juice.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Frozen Strawberries — The berries lend a delicious fruity flavor to this easy cocktail. If you’re using fresh strawberries, freeze them first to prevent the drink from becoming too thin.
- Vanilla Ice Cream — Any variety of vanilla ice cream will do. Vanilla bean, French vanilla, or homestyle vanilla ice cream have slightly different flavors, but they all work well in this recipe. You can even make your own vanilla ice cream!
- Kahlua — Kahlua is a coffee liqueur made with coffee, rum, and sugar, and lends wonderful flavor to this drink so that it’s not overly sweet.
- Baileys Irish Cream — This adds creaminess to the cocktail. I used the original flavor for this recipe, but their Strawberries and Cream version would be delicious, too!
- Vodka — Regular vodka works, but feel free to use marshmallow vodka, vanilla vodka, or whipped cream vodka for a sweeter, mellower flavor.
- Whipped Cream — Use homemade whipped cream or a can of Reddi-wip to top your cocktails.
- Valentine Sprinkles — Red, pink, and white heart sprinkles are perfect for Valentine’s Day.
Equipment and Supplies You’ll Need for This Frozen Mudslide
How to Make a Strawberry Mudslide Drink
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Add your frozen strawberries, vanilla ice cream, Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream, and vodka to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Step 2: Pour the strawberry mixture into a glass and top the drink with whipped cream and heart sprinkles. Drizzle chocolate syrup over the top if you don’t have sprinkles.
Note: Make sure your strawberries are frozen. It’ll ensure your mudslide is nice and thick. If you use fresh strawberries, the drink will be too thin.
To make your drink look and taste even more spectacular, here are a few more garnish ideas:
- Chocolate syrup (drizzle some in the glass before adding the strawberry mixture)
- Strawberry syrup (same idea as above)
- Chocolate shavings
- Fresh strawberry on the rim of the glass
- Chocolate-covered strawberry on the rim of the glass
- An extra scoop of vanilla, strawberry, or chocolate ice cream
Storage and Freezing
Turn this into a boozy ice cream by placing the mixture in a freezer-safe container and letting it set up for at least 4-6 hours. Serve scoops with a drizzle of chocolate syrup or chocolate shavings and whipped cream on top.
Strawberry Mudslide Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Double the recipe to make this drink for two or split the drink between two martini glasses instead of hurricane glasses.
- Make a kid-friendly mocktail version with just the strawberries, ice cream, and a few ounces of milk to thin it out a little.
- If using fresh strawberries, freeze them first to ensure a thick strawberry shake.
Additions and Variations
Try a new flavor of Baileys. Instead of the regular flavor, try their Strawberries and Cream version. Scrumptious!
Add flavored vodka. Vanilla, whipped cream, or marshmallow flavored vodka are delicious with this strawberry cocktail. You could also add strawberry vodka to amp up the fruity flavor.
Swap out the garnish. Instead of sprinkles over the whipped cream, try chocolate shavings with a chocolate covered strawberry on the rim of the glass.
Substitute strawberry ice cream. If you don’t have strawberries on hand to blend with the vanilla ice cream, just use strawberry flavored ice cream in this recipe instead.
Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream. To get that classic chocolate and strawberry flavor combo!
Mudslide Cocktail Recipe FAQ
Traditionally, a mudslide is made with Kahlua, Baileys, vodka, and heavy cream with a drizzle of chocolate syrup for the classic version. For frozen mudslides, vanilla ice cream is substituted in place of the heavy cream.
Absolutely! It’s a delicious addition to this recipe and really amps up the strawberry flavor.
Yes. If you prefer your drink a little lighter, you can omit the vodka and just add another half an ounce each of the Baileys and Kahlua. Or, you can substitute the vodka with an ounce of milk or heavy cream, but the liquid is important so the shake doesn’t get too thick.
More Valentine’s Day Cocktail Ideas
Looking for more romantic drink ideas for two? Try one of these pretty pink cocktails.
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 ounce Kahlua
- 1 ounce Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 ounce Vodka
- whipped cream for topping
- valentines sprinkles optional
- To a blender, add strawberries, ice cream, Kahlua, Bailey’s, and vodka. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Other garnish ideas:
- chocolate syrup
- chocolate shavings
- fresh strawberries
- chocolate-covered strawberries