These shark jello shots made with ocean water gelatin, coconut rum, and shark gummies are a fun and tasty (adults-only) way to celebrate shark week or any summer occasion.
Plus, you will love how easy these blue ocean water jello shots are to make, only requiring just a few minutes of actual work before your fridge does the “hard part” of setting the jello for a few hours to overnight.
Who doesn’t love a few refreshing jello shots to cool off with during the hot summer days?!? If you’re a jello shot fan, I have a TON of fun jello shot recipes to share with you.
Some of my other favorite festive jello shots for you to try are Blue Hawaiian jello shots (another beautiful blue color!), Strawberry jello shots (yummy shots with fresh strawberries on top), and Red, white, and blue jello shots (perfect for every patriotic holiday- think 4th of July, Memorial Day, and even Veteran’s Day).
You really can’t go wrong when it comes to making any of these jello shot recipes for you or friends and family. But these gummy shark jello shots are especailly fun for shark week parties or pool parties. They will make you feel like a shark-loving kid again!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Sonic Ocean Water Gelatin— This bright blue jello has a unique and acquired taste that is a combination of lime, lemon, and coconut. If you don’t care for the flavor or can’t find this specific jello variety you can use another blue jello such as berry blue or blue raspberry for the same look.
- Water— You will need both boiling water and cold water to prepare the jello.
- Malibu Coconut rum— You can use a different brand if you prefer.
- Shark Gummies— you can find these at many grocery stores, dollar stores, or you can order them online if needed.
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Plastic shot cups
How to make shark jello shots
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Whisk to combine gelatin mix and boiling water until the mix is fully dissolved. This will take about 2 minutes.
Step 2: Stir in the cold water and Malibu rum. Allow the mixture to cool for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
Step 3: Pour evenly into shot glasses and refrigerate until fully set, which takes at least 3 hours. I reccomend chilling them overnight to make sure you give them enough time to set fully.
Step 4: Top each shot with a shark gummy before serving.
Store your Shark Attack Jello Shots in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve and enjoy them.
These jello shots can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
If storing a large lot of them together, use the jello shot cups with lids on them to make stacking the shots easier in a container.
Expert tips and tricks
- Make ahead. You can make these Shark Bite jello shots ahead of time, in fact, it’s easier to make them the day or night beforehand and let them set overnight so you know they’ll be the proper texture.
- Make them kid friendly. You can make non-alcoholic jello bites by replacing the Malibu rum with the same amount of cold water. That way the entire family can enjoy these shark jello treats!
- Use a muffin tin. Place your jello shot cups in a baking pan or muffin tin (as shown above) to easily carry them to and from the fridge.
- Use for a Shark Week party. If you’re planning a Shark Week watching party with friends then you totally need to serve these jello shots to those of age! Party-appropriate drinks for sure!
Shark bite jello shots: Frequently asked questions
If you’re having trouble finding the Sonic Ocean Water Jello, it’s okay. For a similar blue-colored jello shot I recommend using Berry Blue Jello. It has a fruity flavor that is very delicious and would work well for the theme of these shots.
Most jello shot recipes will call for vodka or white rum. These two kinds of alcohol usually pair very nicely with so many flavors of jello, making them the easy choice to use when making spiked jello shots. I used Malibu rum in this, but you can use plain white rum, regular vodka, a flavored vodka, or flavored white rum. Malibu makes various flavored rums to choose from, many of which would go well in jello shots.
Typically, these shots are garnished with the gummy sharks which help tie the theme of these drinks together. You may also choose to add a splash of grenadine to your jello as it’s setting to resemble some blood from the shark attack if desired. Also, you can garnish with whipped cream and any other garnishes like cherries, a lime wedge, a lemon slice, or a pineapple chunk. All of these options would pair well with the jello flavor profile.
More summer shots and cocktail recipes
- Ocean water cocktail
- Frozen peach margarita
- Caribbean rum punch
- Strawberry lemonade jello shots
- Peach sangria
- Whisk to combine gelatin mix and boiling water until the mix is fully dissolved. This will take about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cold water and coconut rum. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- Pour evenly into plastic shot glasses and refrigerate until fully set, at least 3 hours (I like to let them chill overnight).
- Top each shot with a shark gummy before serving.
Berry blue jello can be used in place of ocean water jello.
You can make your jello shots ahead of time. In fact, it’s best to make them the day or night before so they have plenty of time to set fully.
Make the shart jello bites non-alcoholic by swapping the Malibu rum out for cold water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.