These Christmas cookie bars are packed with red and green M&M’s, chocolate chips, and sprinkles, making the buttery cookie bars a fun and festive Christmas dessert.
Whip up this easy homemade Christmas cookie bars recipe for bake sales, holiday entertaining, to put out for Santa on Christmas eve, or as a fun dessert for the family during the holiday season.
Christmas Cookie Bars
Christmas M&M cookie bars are a great way to serve up a crowd, without manning the oven making batches of cookies. Just whip up these Christmas cookies and get them baking.
Then once done, slice and serve up a delicious cookie bar that takes no time to make.
What is a bar cookie?
Cookie bars are just like a cookie but baked in an 8×8 or 9×13 pan. Most cookie bars are great for serving up a crowd, potluck desserts, and more. Simple prep, easy bake, and you are able to slice and serve fast.
It is a great way to serve a handful of people without making actual cookies.
How to Make
Mix Batter | In a bowl or stand mixer, mix to combine your wet ingredients. Then whisk your dry ingredients together and slowly mix into the dry.
Candies | Fold in your M&Ms, sprinkles, and chocolate chips. Transfer dough to prepared baking dish.
More Candy | Top with remaining candies and gently press them down in the pan.
Bake | Bake your bars for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are light brown and fully cooked.
Cool and Slice | Once done, remove and allow to cool a bit. Then slice and serve up these moist, delicious cookie bars.
How do you know when cookie bars are done?
You know cookie bars are done when you take a toothpick and stick in the center and it comes out free of cookie batter. You will also see the edges pull away a bit from the sides of the pan. And the bars will create a golden brown color on top.
Best Way To Store Cookie Bars
You can store these holiday cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature. They will stay moist for a few days, and then begin to dry out a bit.
If you don’t plan to eat them right away, then place in a freezer bag or container and freeze for 2-3 months. Thaw on the counter for a quick thaw when you get a craving for something sweet.
Best Sprinkles To Use
What I love about these cookie holiday bars are the colorful sprinkles. Feel free to use any sprinkles you have on hand. I find that Jimmies are a great sprinkle that holds shape and bakes up nicely. Sugar sprinkles that are colored sugar are not a good option as they will melt and break down as the cookies bake up.
Will cookies harden as they cool?
Like a classic cookie, these chocolate chip cookie bars will harden a bit once it is removed from the oven. The pan is hot so it will essentially still cook the bars a bit. Overall if you prefer softer bars, remove them from the oven a little early so they stay soft.
More Christmas Cookie Recipes:
- Sugar cookies with sprinkles
- peanut butter blossoms
- Carmelitas recipe
- peppermint patty stuffed cookies – just 4 ingredients!
- cranberry cookies
- Christmas snowball cookies
- soft & chewy gingerbread cookies
- Christmas kitchen sink cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Christmas M&M’s
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer with a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk to combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fold in about ¾ of the M&Ms, chocolate chips, and sprinkles.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining M&M’s, chocolate chips, and sprinkles, pressing them down slightly into the top of the dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges are light brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
For longer storage, you can freeze the cooled bars for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.