Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
Inside: Make light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes from scratch in minutes with this easy pancake recipe.
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
Once you try this homemade buttermilk pancake recipe you will never go back to boxed mixes.
Like old-fashioned buttermilk doughnuts, not only do buttermilk pancakes taste better from scratch, but they are also quite simple to make.
In fact, you can have them on the table in just 22 minutes!
Tips for Making the Best Pancakes
Make your best pancakes yet with these helpful tips and tricks.
- Use buttermilk – Buttermilk is the key ingredient for soft and fluffy pancakes.
- Don’t overmix – Do not overwork the batter. You should have some lumps in the batter.
- Let batter rest – Give your batter about 10 minutes to rest while you heat your pan or griddle.
- Even size – Use a 1/3 cup size measuring cup to pour the batter to create uniform-sized pancakes.
- Serve warm – Keep pancakes warm while you finish cooking by placing them in the oven on the lowest setting.
- Serve with – For a real treat, top pancakes with a pat of homemade butter and pure maple syrup.
Can you make pancakes without buttermilk?
Yes! While buttermilk does help the pancakes to rise a bit more than they will with regular milk, you can absolutely make them without it and they will still be delicious.
Or you can try making your own buttermilk!
How do you make buttermilk at home?
Make your own buttermilk substitute by adding 2 tablespoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 3/4 cups whole or 2% milk. Stir together and let stand for 10 minutes. The acid from the vinegar or lemon juice will cause the milk to begin to curdle and thicken slightly.
Can buttermilk pancakes be frozen?
They sure can! Place a piece of parchment paper in between each pancake and seal in a freezer bag for up to 2 months. Pancakes can then be reheated in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or popped in the toaster for a quick and easy breakfast.
More popular breakfast recipes
- Banana blueberry breakfast cookies
- Sausage breakfast calzones
- The best homemade buttermilk biscuits
- Strawberry muffins
- Copycat Starbucks egg bites -Instant Pot recipe
- Brioche bread French Toast
- Pillsbury monkey bread recipe – only 5 ingredients!
The Best Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make a well in the middle of dry ingredients and add the buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg. Whisk until just combined--a few lumps should still remain. Do not overmix!
- Allow batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle to medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Once heated, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Scoop 1/3 cup of batter onto the skillet or griddle, pouring in a circular motion. Cook until many bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, about 2-3 minutes. Then flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until a light golden brown. Repeat until all pancakes are finished.
- Serve with syrup and butter.