The best sweet potato casserole with pecan topping! The crunchy, buttery pecan topping adds just the right amount of sweetness to compliment the creamy sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel Topping
Like corn casserole, slow cooker glazed carrots, and stovetop cinnamon apples, this tasty Fall side dish is a must-have at Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners.
And I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the best sweet potato casserole recipe–I mean how can you beat a pecan streusel topping?!
This southern side dish is so sweet and indulging that it could be served for dessert! But then again let’s save the pie for dessert and enjoy this classic side dish with dinner. It goes so well with our pecan glazed ham and air fryer spiral ham!
For an amazing Fall dessert try our Pecan Pie Cheesecake. So yummy!
Pecan Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole Ingredients
You will need…
- sweet potatoes
- heavy cream
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- chopped pecans
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
You are in luck because this tasty casserole is very easy to make.
First, peel and chop your sweet potatoes. Place them in a large pot.
Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are covered. Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and return cooked sweet potatoes to the pot.
Add eggs, heavy cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and nutmeg. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined and fluffy. If you don’t have a hand mixer you can use a potato masher.
Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9” x 13” casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes into the dish and smooth top with a spatula.
In a small bowl, mix to combine melted butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in pecans.
Sprinkle topping evenly over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving, then dig in and enjoy!
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe for sweet potato casserole with pecan topping. You will not be disappointed!
How can you store leftovers?
In the unlikely event that you are lucky enough to have any extra, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in microwave or oven.
Can you freeze sweet potato casserole?
Yes! Transfer the baked casserole to an airtight, freezer-safe baking dish and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight then reheat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
Can you make sweet potato casserole ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prep the casserole ahead of time, cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Expect to add about 10 minutes to the baking time to baking right from the fridge.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Topping
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- 6 medium-sized sweet potatoes, approximately 4lb
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Pecan Streusel Topping:
- 4 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks.
- Place chopped potatoes in a large pot. Fill with water until the potatoes are covered. Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add the eggs, heavy cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and nutmeg. Beat with a hand mixer until well combined and fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9” x 13” casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture into the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix to combine melted butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Leave a Reply