Are you looking for an easy but delicious holiday bundt cake? You will love this peppermint mocha cake— a rich chocolate cake, with a homemade espresso peppermint ganache that gets poured over the top. Grab a fork and dive in for a crave-worthy Christmas cake that is so simple to make.
If you are on the hunt for more holiday-inspired desserts, check out these incredible recipes as well: old-fashioned gingerbread cake, Christmas crack, sugar cookie snack cake, and our very popular sugar cookie fudge.
Peppermint Mocha Cake
Chocolate, coffee, and peppermint are the ultimate trio when it comes to flavor.
This cake is gorgeous and will win over everyone from young and old.
Slice and serve alone, or add a scoop of peppermint ice cream to the side.
Best of all your home will smell incredible as it bakes up!
Peppermint Mocha Bundt Cake
Boxed Cake Mix | I used triple chocolate cake mix for an extra rich cake. It works great and with the ganache on top it really dressed up the flavor. Dark chocolate cake mix would work great as well. No one will ever know it was a box cake mix.
You will add other ingredients to the mix to give it a delicious flavor. Then add a splash of peppermint extract for a minty chocolate cake.
It really adds so much flavor, and the mint and espresso help to balance out the rich chocolate.
- Go right ahead and use a homemade chocolate cake to replace the boxed if you would like. Just add in the peppermint to ensure you get that mint in the cake.
- Candy canes crushed up are awesome to sprinkle on top of the cake, just be sure to crush them up rather fine or you will have large crunchy pieces that can be hard to eat.
- You can put your mints in a bag and then use a rolling pin to hit gently to crush them up (or use these to make things even easier!)
- Go ahead and make a regular cake instead of a bundt cake if you would like. Just adjust the cooking time to make sure to not overbake the cake.
- Sticking a toothpick in the center of the cake to see it comes out clean without batter means the cake is done.
Best Way To Store
You are able to store your cake, covered, on the counter or in the fridge. The cake will store for 3-5 days. You will find that as each day passes it will dry out a bit. So I do recommend eating the cake within the first few days of making.
Go right ahead and freeze any cake you don’t plan to eat right away. Just place in the proper container and freeze for up to three months. Then thaw on the counter or in the fridge overnight.
How is Bundt Cake different from regular cake?
Bundt cakes often have a richer and moister texture than a classic cake that is make in a 9 x 13 cake pan. Most bundt cakes will cook longer than a traditional cake, as it is a lot thicker in the pan.
What Can I Use In Replace of Espresso
You could use an instant coffee to replace the espresso powder if you would like. The espresso will of course add a richer texture, but instant coffee is a great substitute.
Peppermint cake ingredients:
- 1 box of triple chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract
Mocha ganache ingredients:
- ¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup peppermint candies, crushed
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a 9-inch bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, milk, eggs, butter, and peppermint extract until combined and smooth.
- Pour the batter into the bundt cake pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before removing the bundt cake from the pan by turning it over onto a wire rack.
For the ganache:
- In a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream and espresso powder to a slow simmer.
- Using a strainer, strain the heavy whipping cream into a bowl to ensure there are no clumps of espresso powder remaining.
- Place chocolate chips in a heat-safe bowl. Pour the hot heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips. Allow to sit for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth.
- Pour the ganache evenly over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down the sides.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermints, slice, and serve.
Can't find a triple chocolate cake mix? Dark chocolate cake mix works well too!
Feel free to use your favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe instead of a boxed mix. Just be sure to add the peppermint extract to the cake batter.
Store cake covered at room temperate or in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Pin for Later: