Trust me when I say this gingerbread cake is the best gingerbread cake recipe ever. So full of flavor, so moist, and easy to bake too! Everyone is sure to be running back for seconds.
I know claiming this to be the best gingerbread cake recipe in the world is a HUGE statement but this recipe is truly heavenly. It’s basically Christmas in a bite of delicious cake!
Old fashioned gingerbread cake
Gingerbread desserts and the holiday season go hand-in-hand. And when it takes the form of cake? Oh, give me more, please!
You’ll love how easy this gingerbread dessert is to bake, too. Mix together the ingredients, bake, and then mix up your frosting to dollop on top.
You can even grab a piping bag with a star tip to make it look beautiful too!
Best gingerbread cake recipe in the world
If you’re wanting to impress some guests during holiday parties this season, including this homemade gingerbread dessert is a must.
Old fashioned gingerbread cake is a definite crowd-pleaser with the rich taste and moist consistency. You are sure to be begged for the recipe throughout the night.
Gingerbread cake ingredients
- light brown sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- powdered sugar
- heavy whipping cream
How to make gingerbread cake
PREPARE: Preheat the oven to 350F and prep your baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
MIX INGREDIENTS: In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and pour the boiling water over it; set aside for a few minutes. Whisk together until butter has fully melted. Add brown sugar, molasses, and egg; whisk until well combined. Slowly add flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt baking powder, and baking soda; whisk until smooth.
BAKE: Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to allow time to cool.
MIX FROSTING: Using a stand mixer, beat together the frosting ingredients until smooth and fluffy.
SERVE: Slice cake into 12 pieces and serve with dollops of frosting on top.
Can I use salted butter for this recipe?
It is not recommended, no. Salted butter can change the overall taste of this delicious cake recipe due to the undetermined amount of salt content.
Can gingerbread cake be frozen?
Absolutely! For best results, bake all the way through and allow it to cool before cutting it. Then, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in a tightly sealed ziplock bag. It should keep for about 1-2 months in the freezer.
How long does gingerbread cake last?
This gingerbread cake should stay good in the refrigerator or left on the counter for about 5-7 days. You can also freeze it for up to 1-2 months.
What is the best way to store gingerbread cake?
For best results, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
Be sure to check out these other delicious cake recipes!
For The Cake
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Add the butter to a large mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it; set aside for a few minutes. Then, whisk until the butter has fully melted.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, and egg; whisk until combined.
- Slowly add flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; whisk until smooth.
- Scoop the batter into a baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside and allow time to cool.
- Using a stand mixer, beat together the frosting ingredients until smooth and fluffy. Add additional tablespoons of heavy whipping cream as needed to reach the desired consistency.
- Frost cake or pipe dollops of frosting using a star tip. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1025Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 166mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 131gFiber: 1gSugar: 118gProtein: 3g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. Accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.