A salted caramel apple crumb cake recipe perfect for Fall. This delicious apple cake is filled with diced apples, cinnamon streusel, and then drizzled with a salted caramel sauce.
Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Cake Recipe
My family loves apples. You will always find an abundance of apples at our house, especially after we go apple picking in the Fall.
Apples are great to grab and munch on as a snack, but sometimes it is also nice to use them to make delicious apple recipes like this salted caramel apple crumb cake.
With a crumb topping, apple filling, and caramel drizzle, this apple cake is always a crowd-pleaser.
Much like apple danish or maple walnut coffee cake, this is the kind of recipe that works for breakfast or dessert. Serve on its own for breakfast, or with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for dessert.
How to Make Sugar Glaze
Not a fan of salted caramel? You can omit the salted caramel sauce and drizzle the cake with a basic sugar glaze instead.
To make the glaze simply whisk together 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and 3 tsp milk. If the glaze is too thin, add more milk. Or if the glaze is too thick, add more powdered sugar.
Have more apples to use? You will love these tasty apple recipes:
- Apple Pear Crisp – easy crockpot recipe
- Cinnamon Roll Upside Down Apple Cake
- Soft Baked Apple Cookies
- Copycat Cracker Barrel Fried Apples — easy crockpot recipe
- Snickers salad — no-bake dessert
For the Cinnamon Streusel Crumb Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 large apple, peeled and diced
For the Crumb Cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs (large)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 bottle of salted caramel sauce
Make the Crumb Topping:
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whisk well.
- Add the melted butter and vanilla. Stir until it is evenly moist. Set aside.
Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep springform pan by coating it with non-sticking cooking spray and lining the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix well. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, beating well to combine ingredients. Beat in the vanilla and sour cream.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Spread half of the batter into the bottom of the springform pan.
- Top with apple chunks, evenly covering the cake batter.
- Sprinkle one cup of the cinnamon streusel crumb topping over the apples.
- Top evenly with the remaining cake batter, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes. Test for doneness with a cake tester or toothpick: Insert in the center of the cake, if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Leave cake in the pan and allow to cool. Gently run a thin knife around the cake to loosen it before removing and transferring to serving dish.
- Drizzle salted caramel sauce over the top before serving.
We used a gala apple, but you can use your favorite type of apple.
Not a fan of salted caramel? Drizzle the cake with a basic sugar glaze instead. To make the glaze simply whisk together 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and 3 tsp milk. If the glaze is too thin, add more milk. If too thick, add more powdered sugar.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 301mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 6g
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. Accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.