Easy peppermint mocha cupcakes are rich mocha cupcakes made from boxed cake mix and topped with homemade peppermint whipped cream cream cheese frosting.
Like peppermint mocha bundt cake and chocolate peppermint fudge, peppermint and chocolate (or mocha) is a delicious flavor combination and perfect for holiday baking and serving up at Christmas parties.
This easy peppermint mocha cupcake recipe is what I would call semi-homemade since it starts with a box of chocolate cake mix. The cake mix is “doctored” by using coffee in place of the water in the recipe on the box.
Then the freshly baked mocha cupcakes are topped with an incredible, yet easy to make, peppermint whipped cream cheese frosting.
The frosting is light and creamy, so feel free to pile it on it on high like we do. So yummy!
For other recipes that start with a box of cake mix try our lemon cake mix cookies, ricotta cheese cake, and oreo poke cake.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
You will need…
- Chocolate Cake Mix – Plus eggs and vegetable oil as called for on the box. We used Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Cake Mix but any variety should work.
- Coffee – Brewed and cooled. This will replace the water in the cake mix recipe.
- Cream Cheese – Use full fat cream cheese for best results.
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as confectioners’ sugar.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – A heavy cream with 36% – 40% milkfat is necessary for making the frosting. Do not substitute with milk.
- Vanilla Extract – Pure vanilla extract is best.
- Peppermint Extract – To give the frosting peppermint flavor.
- Crushed Candy Canes – For sprinkling on top of the frosted cupcakes. Peppermint candies would work too.
How to Make Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
- Make cupcakes according to directions on box, substituting coffee for the water.
- Prepare frosting using a stand mixer or hand held mixer.
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with crushed peppermints.
Store leftover cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Remove from the fridge 20-25 minutes before serving.
- Place your peppermints in a zip-top baggie and use a rolling pin to crush them. Be sure to crush them finely as large chunks of peppermint aren’t fun to eat.
- Cold cream whips best, so make sure your heavy whipping cream is cold. Remove it from the fridge just before whipping. You can even place your mixer attachements and mixing bowls in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before starting for good measure.
More Christmas Cupcake Recipes
Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
For the cupcaks:
- 1 15.25 ounce box milk chocolate cake mix + eggs and vegetable oil as called for on the box
- brewed coffee, cooled
For the Frosting:
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermints
- Prepare and bake the cupcakes according to the box directions, except substitute the water for brewed, cooled coffee. Once the cupcakes are finished baking, allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- With a handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream until it thickens and forms stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined. Then mix in the vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Finally, fold in whipped cream.
- Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Top with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes or peppermints.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Shirley Elwood says
Thank you for sharing 🤟🙏❤️