A classic chicken parmesan recipe made with breaded chicken breasts oven-baked to crispy, cheesy perfection with tomato sauce and a delicious blend of cheeses.
This baked chicken parmesan recipe and shrimp scampi are my go-to’s when I am craving homemade Italian food for dinner.
If you are a fan of pasta and chicken like me, you will enjoy this easy chicken parmesan recipe. I also have a few more chicken dinner recipes for you to check out: Instant Pot crack chicken, chicken and rice casserole, and one-pot creamy garlic chicken.
Classic Chicken Parmesan
For this classic chicken parmesan recipe, I wanted to create an easy but satisfying dinner that would taste just as good as ordering takeout from your favorite restaurant.
Main Ingredients Used
Breaded Chicken – Chicken parmesan is known for having a breaded chicken. First, you will soak your boneless chicken in an egg mixture and then dredge in a Panko bread crumb mixture (you ou can use classic breadcrumbs if you don’t have Panko). Then you will then brown each piece of chicken in a skillet to get that nice crispy texture.
Tomato Sauce – The top of your chicken will get smothered in a tomato sauce, shredded cheese (we used a mixture of mozzarella and cheddar), and parmesan cheese. Get it nice and melted and you have one incredible topping for your chicken parm!
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Soak Chicken – Start by soaking your boneless chicken that is soaked in the egg, minced garlic, and parsley. Marinate for about 15 minutes.
Bread – Mix your flour and Italian Seasoning in a show bowl. Do breadcrumbs in another bowl. Now take chicken dredge in flour, then move to egg mixture, then into bread crumbs.
Pan Fry – Toss the breaded chicken in the skillet with oil and sear the outside of each piece of chicken.
Bake – Place your fried chicken parmesan into a baking sheet, top with tomato sauce, then shredded cheese, parmesan cheese, and parsley. Bake in the oven as directed.
Full list of ingredients and instructions on how to cook chicken parmesan are in the recipe card below.
What To Serve With Chicken Parmesan
Not sure what to serve with your breaded chicken parmesan? I have a few ideas you might find helpful in terms of what I find goes well with chicken parm.
Serve your chicken parmesan:
- over a bed of pasta
- on a roll or bun to make a chicken parm sandwich
- alongside steamed veggies or a side salad
Honestly, you can serve this as a meal in one or pair with your favorite side dishes. You will find that any and all of these items could be a great addition to the chicken dish.
If you have leftover parmesan chicken go right ahead and store in the fridge for up to three days. Anything after that just uses your best judgment in terms of quality.
The chicken breaded will soften up a bit once it has been cooled down. This is best when served fresh but still tastes great reheated.
For freezing, you can freeze leftover chicken. Just know the breading will sog up even more once you thaw and reheat from being frozen. Freeze in an airtight container for up to three months.
More Baked Chicken Recipes:
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half through the middle
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cooking oil of choice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a casserole dish or shallow container, combine the eggs, minced garlic, and parsley. Marinate the chicken in the egg mixture for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Prepare a 9” x 13” casserole dish with a coat of non-stick spray and set aside. Get a large plate ready to place your chicken on after coating.
- Add flour and 2 tsp Italian seasoning to a shallow bowl. Stir to combine. Add breadcrumbs to a second shallow bowl. Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour, then back into the egg mixture, and then into the bread crumbs. Place on a plate as you coat all of the chicken.
- Add cooking oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Brown each piece of chicken, about 3-4 minutes per side, and then place in the prepared casserole dish.
- Stir the remaining 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning into the tomato sauce; spoon over chicken. Top with shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is bubbly and chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, and serve.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 914
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Pin for Later: