A ridiculously easy no-bake lemon icebox cake recipe, made using just 4 simple ingredients: lemon pudding mix, milk, Cool Whip, and graham crackers.
While some people (like me) no-bake desserts like these icebox cakes, I have seen them also referred to as a lemon lush or lemon dream dessert.
But, typically a lush has a cream cheese layer, which this particular recipe does not. (I do also have a lemon lush recipe if you would like something with a cream cheese layer.)
So, I think lemon icebox cake or no-bake lemon pudding cake would be better-suited names for this delicious treat.
Looking for a no-bake cheesecake? Check out this amazing no-bake cherry cheesecake.
Lemon Icebox Cake
I know, I know, who really cares what you call it? What matters is how it tastes, right?
Well, I can assure you that this lemon cake tastes incredible. Cool, light, and creamy lemon goodness. I love how it has just the right amount of lemon flavor so that it isn’t too lemony.
Related: 3-Ingredient Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
If you love lemon desserts, you won’t be able to resist this lemon pudding icebox cake.
And just like our strawberry icebox cake, you won’t believe how easy it is to make.
The cake is made by simply alternating layers of graham crackers, lemon pudding, and Cool Whip.
That. Is. It!
A Word of Warning
Be careful when covering your cake.
I used the lid that came with my 9 x 13 glass baking dish, and I guess it just wasn’t high enough.
When I removed the lid the following day, there was a large hole in the top layer of my cake. Ugh.
Luckily, I was able to salvage my lemon cake by patching the hole with the whipped topping from the lid and then camouflage my patchwork with graham cracker crumbs.
You can hardly tell, right?
But, you can be smarter than I was and use more care when covering your cake. Toothpicks are great for helping to ensure plastic wrap doesn’t stick to your cake.
Or, use one of these. I am going to order one for next time I make a no-bake cake (which will probably be next week, knowing me).
- 2 (3.4 oz) packages lemon instant pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tub (16 oz) whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 1 (16 oz) box graham crackers
- graham cracker crumbles and/or fresh berries, for garnish (if desired)
- In a large bowl, whisk instant pudding mix and milk together for 2 minutes. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping.
- Cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish with a single layer of graham crackers. Add 1/2 the pudding mixture, spread into an even layer. Repeat with another layer of graham crackers and then the rest of the pudding. Top with a 3rd layer of graham crackers and then the remaining whipped topping.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours.
- Garnish with fresh berries and/or graham cracker crumbles, if desired. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389