Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This easy tater tot casserole recipe is made with just 4 simple ingredients: ground beef, frozen tater tots, cream of mushroom soup, and cheddar cheese.
Like our Ritz Chicken Casserole, Cheeseburger Casserole, and Chili Cheese Dog Casserole, this easy casserole recipe can be on the table in under an hour for a quick and easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Even the picky eaters!
Crispy, cheese-covered, tater tots combine with ground beef in a creamy sauce for the ultimate comfort food casserole.
If your family loves comfort food as much as we do they are going to be begging you to make this tater tot casserole with ground beef again and again.
Here is what you will need…
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (28 or 32 oz.) bag frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
Additions and Substitutions
Onions & minced garlic: Elevate the flavor of this easy casserole by throwing some diced onions and/or minced garlic in with your ground beef. Or use some garlic powder and onion powder instead to add to the flavor profile.
Veggies: Make the casserole more of a complete meal by adding a layer of vegetables. Canned green beans, corn, chopped bell peppers, or mixed vegetables are all great additions. Just add them on top of your beef layer.
Cream of chicken: Making this tater tot casserole with cream of chicken soup is also a good option. Just swap the mushroom soup for chicken.
Ground turkey: Swap ground beef for ground turkey for a lighter meal.
Vegetarian: Make your tater tot casserole without meat by either using one of the ground beef substitutes available at the supermarket. Or skip the beef and add a can of veggies instead.
Preheat your oven to 350° F.
Cook and stir ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Once the beef has been browned, drain any grease. Then, add cream of mushroom soup and stir well. Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish and spread into an even layer.
Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of cheese evenly over the beef.
Top with an even layer of tater tots.
Bake uncovered until tater tots are golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Return to oven for 3-4 minutes, just to melt the cheese a little bit.
Serve immediately and enjoy.
I think that you will agree that this is the best tater tot casserole recipe ever. And the easiest too!
Store: Keep leftovers stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This hearty casserole tastes great the next day!
Freeze: Complete steps 1-5 to assemble the tatertot casserole then wrap tightly and place in the freezer. When you are ready to prepare, simply add 15 minutes to the bake time.
- Melty cheese: Freshly grated cheese melts best, so break out your cheese grater!
- Sneak mushrooms: Kids not a fan of veggies? Try pulsing mushrooms and adding them to your ground beef. This little “parent hack” is a great way to add vegetables to meals without them being noticed!
- Slow cook it: Check out this slow cooker tater tot casserole recipe for a tasty crock pot version of this delicious casserole.
- Freezer meal: Tater Tot Casserole freezes well, so make a double batch and store one in your freezer for a quick and easy dinner on a night that you don’t feel like cooking.
Don’t miss these tasty casserole recipes
These easy dinners are perfect for busy weeknights and sure to become a family favorite.
- Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 4 Ingredient Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Sloppy Joe Casserole with Manwich
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- Easy Pizza Pasta Casserole
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 10.5 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 28 or 32 oz. bag frozen tater tots
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook and stir ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Once the beef has browned, drain the grease. Then, add cream of mushroom soup and stir well. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle 1 ½ cups of cheese evenly over the beef
- Add an even layer of tater tots.
- Bake uncovered until tater tots are golden brown 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Pop it back in the oven just until the cheese melts a bit (about 3 minutes).
- Serve immediatly and enjoy!