Do you love Sonic ocean water? Make the tropical blue coconut ocean water drink at home with this easy 5-ingredient recipe.
My family loves ordering Ocean Water at Sonic, but unfortunately we don’t live close enough to a Sonic location to just swing by whenever we want one.
That is why I am obsessed with this copycat recipe.
Like our copycat shamrock shake, it is super simple to make, looks just like the real thing, and has the same delicious coconut taste.
The best part is that we can enjoy the refreshing summer drink anytime we want, right at home.
The tropical drink makes a refreshing tropical mocktail or fun non-alcoholic drink for kids. Looking for an adults-only version? Try this tasty ocean water cocktail recipe.
You will need:
- lemon-lime soda – Sprite, 7up, or Sierra Mist, etc… Sonic uses Sprite, so reach for that if you are going for the most authentic copycat drink possible.
- coconut extract – grab a bottle near the vanilla in the baking aisle–or order it on Amazon.
- blue food coloring – while you don’t need to use food coloring, the drink won’t have it’s iconic blue color without it
- sugar – to be combined with water to make a simple syrup
- shark gummies and/or Swedish fish – optional, but highly recommened due to being super cute and yummy too
Recipe Tips and Storage
Party Punch: Double or triple the recipe for a terrific non-alcoholic and kid-friendly party punch. Serve in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
Spike it: For the grown-ups, replace the coconut extract with a shot or two of coconut rum to turn the drink into a bright blue cocktail.
Make ahead: As a carboned drink, ocean water is best when enjoyed immediately. However, you can make the simple syrup (step 1) up to 2 weeks ahead of time and store it in a glass jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Then simply combine all the ingredients and you are good to go.
Leftovers: If you are lucky enough to have any of the drink leftover, you can use it to make popsicles – yum!
A popular bright blue carbonated coconut flavored beverage served at the fast-food chain Sonic.
It is made with Sprite, sugar, water, coconut extract, and blue food coloring.
Vacation. Wait, is vacation not an acceptable answer? Ok fine, it tastes like a bubbly and refreshing coconut Sprite.
More kid-friendly drink recipes
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- To create a simple syrup, combine water and sugar in a small microwavable bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Allow the simple syrup to cool to room temperature.
- Add the cooled simple syrup, Sprite, coconut extract, and food coloring to a pitcher. Stir well to combine.
- Serve over ice, adding shark gummies or Swedish fish if desired.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.