Grinch Pretzel Bites are caramel-filled pretzels dipped in green candy melts and topped with the classic red heart.
Like our Christmas pretzel bites, these cute little treats require minimal effort but deliver a festive turnout.
Serve your grinch pretzels filled with caramels up for a movie night at home, or take a playdate, or pack in your child’s lunch.
Like our Grinch Bark, this is a Grinch-inspired dessert that both kids and adults are sure to devour!
These Grinch Bites Are
- Made with simple ingredients
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Pretzel Twists – You will use the classic pretzel twists. Just count out what you need, discarding any that are broken apart.
- Caramel – Soft caramels are key for this. I bought a bag of Werther’s Soft caramels, but you can use homemade caramels if you would like. I
- Candy Melts – I used a combination of bright green and dark green for perfect Grinch color. Feel free to change up the color if you need.
- Vegetable Shortening – You will mix a bit of shortening in with the melted candy melts. It is going to give them a creamier texture, which is good for dipping.
- Heart Sprinkles – If you know the Grinch, green with a red heart is the signature look to these bites.
How to Make
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Place your pretzels out in a single layer on a prepared baking sheet. Place a caramel on top of each of the pretzels, right in the center.
Step 2: Toss in the oven to heat up as directed, once warm remove and place the top pretzel on. This will sandwich the caramel in between pretzels.
Step 3: Melt your candy melts and add in the shortening. Then dip each of the stuffed pretzels, leaving one corner un-dipped. Place on a waxed paper-lined sheet and add a red heart sprinkle in the corner.
Tips and Variations
Make sure that you place caramels in the center. That way when you smash on the top pretzel it smashes between both pretzels.
I dipped my pretzels leaving an edge open. This shows guests that there is caramel in between. You can fully dip pretzels if you want.
Make sure to use candy melts. Trying to color white chocolate with food coloring can cause your white chocolate to seize up, and then you can’t use it.
Swap caramels with Rolo’s they are a chocolate-covered caramel that would be a great alternative.
Once your grinch treats have fully cooled you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
You can indeed double the recipe if you need. Just simply make as many of these pretzels as you want. Count 1 caramel and 2 pretzels per Grinch dipped pretzels.
Go right ahead and freeze dipped pretzels for 2-3 months. You will find they thaw and taste very similar to what they did fresh. Just make sure the caramel-dipped pretzels are fully cooled first, or it can build condensation and soften the pretzels.
More homemade Christmas candy recipes
- 48 mini pretzel twists
- 12 soft caramels, unwrapped and cut in half
- 1 cup vibrant green candy melts
- ¼ cup kelly green candy melts
- 1-2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 24 heart-shaped sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange half of the pretzels on the baking sheet in a single layer. Place a caramel on top of each of the pretzels, right in the center. Bake for 5 minutes or until caramels are softened.
- Remove from the oven and immediately press a pretzel on top of each caramel. Allow the pretzels to cool completely.
- Place candy melts in the bowl of a double boiler or in a heat-safe bowl over a pan of water. Heat over med/high heat stirring frequently until completely melted. Stir in shortening a teaspoon at a time until the melts are perfectly smooth.
- Dip a pretzel bite in the candy melts to cover about ⅔ of the pretzel. Return to the parchment-lined baking sheet and gently press a heart-shaped sprinkle onto it. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Allow the candy melts to set before storing or serving.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.