An easy crockpot shredded chicken recipe great for casseroles, tacos, meal prep, salads, are more. Use right away or freeze for up to 2 months!
Having delicious shredded chicken breast on hand makes meal prep through the week much easier.
Crockpot Shredded Chicken Breast
I like to make a batch of slow cooker shredded chicken over the weekend.
The prep takes just 5 minutes and then the crockpot does all the work while I enjoy the day with my family.
Then, after it cools, I divide the chicken up into 1 or 2 cup portions and place it into freezer bags. This way I can easily grab throughout the week when I want to make a chicken casserole.
Prefer to make your shredded chicken on the stovetop? This poached chicken recipe shreds beautifully!
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Crockpot
To make shredded chicken in the slow cooker you will need:
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
Place boneless skinless chicken breasts and chicken broth in your crock pot and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Then, cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Finally, transfer chicken breasts to a plate or shallow bowl and shred chicken using two forks.
The tender and juicy chicken will pull apart easily with two forks.
Use the chicken in recipes right away, or freeze for later!
My Favorite Recipes That Call for Shredded Chicken
- Chicken noodle casserole
- Chicken and rice casserole
- Chicken salad with grapes and pecans
- BBQ chicken dip
- Chicken and dumpling casserole
- Buffalo chicken stuffed jalapeno poppers
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, about 4 large
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Place chicken breasts in the crockpot. Add chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours, until chicken is cooked through (165 F) and tender.*
- Remove chicken and place on a large plate or into a shallow bowl. Use two forks to pull the chicken apart and shred.
- Use shredded chicken in recipes right away or store for use later. Allow the chicken to cool and place in an airtight container to store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, portion cooled chicken into freezer bags, removing as much air as possible before sealing. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
*Chicken breasts range in size, so some take longer to cook than others.
Pin for Later: