Chocolate cake mix cookies with M&Ms have only 5 ingredients and come together in just about 30 minutes, including chill time!
These M&M cake mix cookies take soft and fudgy chocolate cake cookies and pack them full of M&Ms for one irresistibly delicious cookie.
If you haven’t tried making cake mix cookies before you are in for a real treat.
Once you give this recipe a try (and fall in love with the soft, cake-like cookies) give my lemon cake mix cookies and funfetti cake mix cookies recipes a whirl as well.
To be honest, you can’t go wrong with any flavor of cake mix cookie!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Cake mix— We used a 15.25 ounce box of Betty Crocker Super Moist Devil’s Food Cake Mix but you can experiment with other flavors as well. Chocolate Fudge is another yummy option.
- Vegetable oil— or canola oil
- Eggs— Allow your eggs to sit on the countertop for about 30 minutes to come to room temperature before beginning
- Vanilla— Use 100% pure vanilla extract for the best taste
- M&Ms— We added regular size M&Ms to our cookies but you could use mini M&Ms or even chocolate chips if you prefer.
How to Make M&M Cake Mix Cookies
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Add the cake mix, oil, eggs, and vanilla to a large bowl and mix well to combine. Fold in about ⅔ of the M&Ms (no need to measure, just estimate).
Step 2: Chill dough in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. (I sometimes let it chill overnight.)
Step 3: Shape the dough into 1- 1.5 Tablespoon sized balls and place on lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press a few additional M&M’s into the top of the cookies.
Step 4: Bake for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool further.
Serve your chocolate M&M cookies warm or at room temperature.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
M&M Cake Mix Cookie Tips
- Use a cookie scoop for uniform-sized cookies.
- Do not grease your cookie sheets. Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat instead.
- Don’t skip chilling– cookies made from cake mix are very soft and spread a lot while baking. Chilling the dough is necessary to help them from overspreading. Also, cake mix cookie dough is very sticky, making it difficult to form into balls. Chilling helps firm it up enough for you to be able to shape it into balls.
- If you find that your cookie dough is too sticky to work with pop it back in the fridge to chill some more.
- Use Easter M&Ms, Christmas M&Ms, Valentine’s Day M&Ms, 4th of July M&Ms, etc… to give chocolate M&M cookies a holiday theme. We love turning them into easy Christmas cookies!
More Easy Cookie Recipes
- Peanut butter cup cookies
- Chocolate chip cake mix cookies
- Chocolate peanut butter no-bake cookies
- Easy red velvet cookies
- Peanut butter cornflake cookies
- M&M cookie pizza
- 4-Ingredient strawberry cookies
- Brownie mix crinkle cookies
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies with M&Ms
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 15.25-ounce box devils food cake mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups M&M’s candies
- In a large bowl, mix well to combine the cake mix, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Fold in about ⅔ of the M&Ms.
- Set the bowl in the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes.
- After the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Shape the dough into 1- 1.5 Tablespoon-sized balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Press a few additional M&M's into the top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top of the cookies are set. Do not overbake.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool further.
- Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Janet DeMauro says
Looks yummy I’m going to make them for Christmas thank you I love all your recipes