This Baileys poke cake is packed with Irish Cream flavor and easy to make with a box of chocolate cake mix, instant pudding, Baileys Original Irish Cream, and Cool Whip.
It is no secret that I love poke cake recipes. From light and fruity strawberry jello poke cake to chocolatey OREO poke cake, I can’t get enough of them.
Today I am excited to share my decadent baileys poke cake recipe with all of you.
Not only is Irish cream liqueur infused throughout the chocolate cake, but it is also used to make the light and creamy chocolate frosting. Each bite is packed with classic Irish Cream flavor- milky, creamy, chocolatey goodness.
For another one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes try this easy Double Chocolate Coca Cola Cake recipe.
Bailey’s Irish cream cake is a rich and decadent adults-only dessert perfect for finishing off dinner parties or for your St. Patrick’s Day party. For an Irish-themed dinner option try these tasty Reuben roll-ups.
Plus, you will love how easy the chocolate irish cream poke cake recipe is to make with only a handful of simple ingredients and a bottle of Baileys.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Chocolate fudge cake mix– plus water, eggs, and oil as called for on the box. I used Pillsbury but any chocolate cake mix will work.
- Instant espresso powder– this brings out the chocolate flavor of the cake and pairs well with the Irish cream. You can omit it if you prefer.
- Sweetened condensed milk– Be careful not to pick up evaporated milk by mistake. They are often next to eachother are the shelf, although they are not interchangeable in recipes.
- Vanilla instant pudding mix– use only the dry mix, any flavor of vanilla is fine
- Irish cream– you can substitute with Irish cream flavored coffee creamer if you prefer an alcohol-free cake
- Chocolate instant pudding mix– again, use only dry mix
- Milk– I recommend whole or 2% for this recipe
- Cool Whip– thawed in the fridge overnight. Or substitute with homemade whipped cream if you prefer. Just keep in mind that whipped cream doesn’t keep as well as Cool Whip does so you will want to wait until just before serving.
- Mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings– optional topping
How to Make Baileys Poke Cake
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and espresso powder.
Step 2: Follow the directions on the cake mix box to make a 9×13 inch cake.
Step 3: Allow the cake to cool completely and use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes over the entire top of the cake.
PRO TIP: The handle of a wooden spoon is the typically the perfect size for poking holes in a poke cake. However, if you don’t have one on hand you can use a chopstick or even a large serving fork instead.
Step 4: Use a hand-held mixer to mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla pudding mix, and ½ cup of the Baileys Irish cream. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 5 minutes or until set.
Step 5: Spoon the pudding mix over the cake, pushing it into the holes.
Step 6: Use a hand-held mixer to mix the chocolate pudding mix, whole milk, and remaining ½ cup of Baileys until thickened. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cake.
Step 7: Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings if desired and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving.
PRO TIP: If possible, make the cake a day ahead and let it chill overnight. The longer the cake chills the better it gets.
I am sure that you will agree that when it comes to Baileys Irish Cream desserts, this Bailey’s chocolate poke cake takes the cake (no pun intended).
Serve alongside a tray of St Patrick’s Day jello shots for double boozy treats!
If you are lucky enough to have any cake leftover, cover it tightly and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Is there alcohol in this cake?
Yes. The Irish cream does contain alcohol and is used both in the filling of the cake as well as the frosting. If you prefer a non-alcoholic cake you can use Irish cream flavored coffee creamer in place of the Irish cream liquor.
This is not a child-friendly dessert. The Irish cream in the filling and frosting is quite strong and contains alcohol so it is not recommended to serve this cake to children.
Absolutely! This cake is perfect for making ahead because it actually tastes better the day after it is prepared. The Baileys-infused pudding really soaks up into the cake and makes it as moist and decadent as possible.
More Baileys Recipes
Looking to use up that bottle of Irish Cream? I got you. Give one of these recipes a try:
Baileys Poke Cake
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 15.25 ounce box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder
- Ingredients called for on cake mix box, water, oil, eggs
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup Baileys Irish cream, divided
- 1 3.9 ounce box instant chocolate pudding mix
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 8 ounce container Cool Whip, thawed
- Mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix and espresso powder.
- Follow the directions on the cake mix box to make a 9×13 inch cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes over the entire top of the cake.
- Use a hand-held mixer to mix together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla pudding mix, and ½ cup of the Baileys Irish cream. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 5 minutes or until set.
- Spoon the pudding mix over the cake, pushing it into the holes.
- Use a hand-held mixer to mix the chocolate pudding mix, whole milk, and remaining ½ cup of Baileys until thickened. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cake.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips or chocolate shavings if desired and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting and serving.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
I made this for my granddaughter birthday she is turning 41
Cake was super easy to make and looked beautiful. The Bailey’s was the perfect touch! Thanks for sharing!
Mechelle Brown says
I made this at Christmas time. I now am making it for Easter by request. This is a really easy but decadent. I highly recommend this one!