Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
This rocky road candy recipe is an easy no-bake homemade candy packed with smooth chocolate, fluffy marshmallows, and crunchy peanuts. Every bite is the perfect combination of crunchy, salty, and sweet!
Easy Rocky Road Recipe
Reminicest of classic chocolate charlie candy and rocky road candy bars, you can make your own chocolate rocky road clusters easily at home as a tasty and fun treat. The best part is that this homemade candy recipe is one of the easiest treats you can make!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Delicious salty-sweet combination.
- Perfect for the holiday season or any time of year.
- The quick recipe comes together in only 10 minutes.
- Made with just 5 simple ingredients.
- Perfect easy homemade candy recipe for beginners, no candy thermometer needed!
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Lightly Salted Peanuts – Add a little crunch and offer a subtle saltiness to balance the sweetness of the marshmallows and chocolate. You can also use different nuts such as walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, or pecans.
- Chocolate Chips – We prefer milk chocolate for its creamy taste, but semi-sweet chocolate chips can be used for those who enjoy a less sweet, more pronounced chocolate flavor.
- White Chocolate Chips – Provide a contrast in chocolate flavors and add a creamy, vanilla-like richness to the homemade rocky road candy.
- Mini Marshmallows – Fluffy marshmallows perfectly complement the crunchy peanuts and are a must for classic rocky road taste.
- Coarse Salt – Enhances the flavor of the candy by counterbalancing the sweetness and bringing out the chocolate’s depth. Either coarse sea salt or coarse kosher salt is perfect for sprinkling on top for an added texture and taste contrast. The salt can be skipped if you prefer a less salty treat.
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
How to make Rocky Road Candy
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
Step 2: Combine peanuts and marshmallows in a large bowl and mix in the melted chocolate.
Step 3: Scoop heaping Tablespoons onto lined baking sheets.
Step 4: Immediately top with a sprinkle of coarse salt.
Step 5: Allow to set then store or enjoy!
Crockpot Rocky Road
Make rocky road candy clusters in your slow cooker by cooking the chocolate chips and peanuts on low for 1 hour or until melted, turning off for 3 minutes, then stirring in the mini marshmallows.
Store your rocky road candies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, or refrigerate if you prefer them cold. They can also be frozen for longer storage.
Additions and variations
- White Chocolate Drizzle: After setting the rocky road clusters on the baking sheet, drizzle them with melted white chocolate for a fancy touch.
- Almond Joy: Mix ½ cup of shredded coconut and ½ teaspoon of almond extract into the melted chocolate before combining with the peanuts and marshmallows for a tasty twist.
- Dark Chocolate Substitute: Use dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate for a richer, more intense chocolate flavor.
- Pretzel Pieces: Add ½ cup of broken pretzel pieces to the chocolate mixture to add an extra salty crunch that complements the sweet marshmallows.
- Dried Fruit: Fold in ¾ cup of dried cranberries or cherries to the peanuts and marshmallows for a chewy texture and a tart flavor contrast.
- Use the best quality chocolate you can find. High-quality chocolate melts smoother and gives a richer flavor to your candy.
- When melting your chocolate, do so gradually. Use a microwave-safe bowl and heat in short bursts, stirring between each one to prevent burning. Alternatively, melt your chocolate using a double boiler on the stove for more control over the heat.
- Work quickly to scoop the melted chocolate mixture onto the lined baking sheets and sprinkle with salt before the chocolate begins to harden.
- For best results, let your rocky road candy set at room temperature. If you’re in a rush, you can refrigerate, but refrigeration can cause the chocolate to sweat or harden too quickly, leading to a less appealing finish.
Easy Rocky Road Recipe FAQ
Yes, you can use large marshmallows by cutting them into smaller pieces similar in size to mini marshmallows.
Absolutely! Dark chocolate can be a delicious substitute for milk chocolate if you prefer a less sweet, more intense chocolate flavor.
For a nut-free version, try using seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or you could use pretzel pieces for a similar salty, crunchy texture.
More Recipes for Homemade Candy
- Martha Washington Candy
- Christmas Coal Candy
- No Bake Avalanche Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Honeycomb
- The BEST Christmas Candy Recipes – 31+ incredible ideas!
Rocky Road Candy
- 2 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cups white chocolate chips
- 2 ½ cups lightly salted peanuts
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl add the chocolate chips and melt in 30-second intervals. Stir in between each increment to help the process. You want the chocolate to be smooth and velvety.
- In a large bowl, add the peanuts and marshmallows. Transfer the melted chocolate to the bowl. Stir until the peanuts and marshmallows are completely coated.
- Using a cookie scoop or two large spoons, drop heaping Tablespoons of the candy at a time onto the lined baking sheets.
- Top with salt immediately, before the chocolate begins to harden.
- Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature (about 60 minutes) or in the refrigerator (about 20-30 minutes).