Lemon drop shots are an easy party shot recipe made with vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
If you want to make lemon drop shots for a crowd, this lemon drop shot recipe is for you. This recipe will make 10 shots, enough for a whole tray!
If you like lemony vodka recipes you will also love this refreshing raspberry vodka lemonade cocktail.
These lemon drop shots are sure to be the star of your next party–they taste just like the candy! And you will love how easy they are to make with vodka and freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
Have you ever had lemon drops? The classic candy is the perfect combination of tart and sweet. Just like this easy vodka shot recipe.
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Vodka– Use a high-quality vodka such as Tito’s, Absolut, Ketel One, Smirnoff, or Grey Goose for the best tasting lemon drop shot. Or for even more lemon flavor try using a lemon-flavored vodka instead.
- Lemon juice– Freshly squeezed lemon juice is best. You will need about 3 lemons to get a half cup of lemon juice.
- Simple syrup– premade or homemade (get the easy recipe in FAQ section below)
- Ice– because shots are best served ice-cold
- Sugar– optional, for coating the rim of the glass
- Lemon slices– optional, for garnish
- Cocktail shaker
- Shot glasses (we used 2-ounce glasses)
How to Make Lemon Drop Shots with Simple Syrup
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Optional: To rim the glass, add a layer of sugar to a saucer. Run a lemon wedge along the rim of the shot glass to moisten it then dip it in the sugar, turning the glass until the is rim completely coated.
To a cocktail shaker, add ice, vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake well to combine and chill. Pour into shot glasses.
Garnish with a slice of lemon, if desired, and serve.
Tips & Variations
- Try coating the lemon slices with sugar and biting the sugary lemon immediately after taking the lemon drop shot. The sweetness helps tame the tart shot.
- This recipe makes 10 large 2-ounce shots. If you are using standard 1.5-ounce size shot glasses it will make about 15 shots.
- Want to make only a single lemon drop shot? Use 1 ounce of vodka, ½ ounce of lemon juice, and a generous splash of simple syrup.
Lemon juice, vodka, and simple syrup.
You can buy simple syrup at the liquor store, in the liquor aisle of the grocery store, on Amazon, or you can make your own.
Add equal parts water and sugar to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
If you do not have a cocktail shaker chill the vodka and lemon juice for at least an hour then add to a pitcher or large bowl and stir to combine with the simple syrup.
You might also enjoy
Lemon Drop Shots
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1 ¼ cup vodka, 10 ounces
- ½ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 6 ounces
- ¼ cup simple syrup, 2 ounces
- sugar, optional, for rimming
- lemon slices or wedges, optional, for rimming and garnish
- Optional: To rim the glass, add a layer of sugar to a saucer. Run a lemon wedge along the rim of the shot glass to moisten it then dip it in the sugar, turning the glass until the is rim completely coated.
- To a cocktail shaker, add ice, vodka, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake well to combine and chill.
- Pour into shot glasses and garnish with a lemon slices.
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
can you also drink it like cocktail? it sounds very delicious.
Jaclyn Shimmel says
Sure, you can drink it like a cocktail. However, I should warn you that it will be pretty strong!