Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
You will love this Watermelon Fruit Salad recipe! Juicy watermelon and fresh berries get tossed in a simple honey lime dressing for a light and refreshing salad packed with summer flavor. The best fruit salad for Memorial Day, Labor Day, baby showers, and backyard BBQs!
I love watermelon. As a matter of fact, watermelon is one of my favorite fruits. That is probably why I was so excited to make it the star of this delicious fruit salad recipe. Filled with watermelon and summer berries, this watermelon berry salad is one of my favorite ways to enjoy summer fruits.
The best part is, this easy watermelon salad recipe is so quick and easy to prepare. Simply chop up some fresh watermelon, wash and dry your berries, and add everything to a bowl. Then finish it off with a little honey for sweetness and lime for freshness in an easy fruit salad dressing that brings everything together.
For more easy summer desserts try any one of these 11 incredible dessert salad recipes.
Why you’ll love this berry watermelon fruit salad
- Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients
- Packed with seasonal fruits
- Great recipe for summer months
- Kid-friendly recipe
- Versatile – perfect as a healthy snack, side dish, light breakfast, or even dessert!
Watermelon Salad Ingredients
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
- Watermelon – I always opt for a seedless watermelon if the grocery store has one available.
- Strawberries – Fresh strawberries, washed with cold water and hulled. You can slice them into bite-sized pieces or leave them whole if you prefer.
- More Berries – Fresh blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries; washed and added to the salad whole.
- Lime Juice – I recommend fresh lime juice for the best taste. However, you can use bottled lime juice if that is all you have on hand (and skip adding the lime zest).
- Mint – Thinly sliced fresh mint leaves add flavor to the dressing and can be used as garnish too if desired,
- Honey – Adds a light sweetness that balances out the lime and mint flavors.
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Serving spoon
- Sharp knife
How to make Watermelon Fruit Salad
This section shows you how to make the recipe with step-by-step photos and instructions. For the full printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
Step 1: The first thing you will need to do is make the dressing. Add the lime juice, lime zest, honey, and mint leaves to a small bowl. Whisk the ingredients together then set aside.
Step 2: Now it is time to prepare the fruit. Add the cubed watermelon, halved strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries to a large bowl. Pour the lime mint dressing on top. Gently stir everything together to ensure that the fruit is coated with the dressing.
Step 3: Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with extra mint leaves before serving, if desired.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing this salad. The fruit won’t have the same texture when frozen and thawed and it just isn’t as enjoyable.
Recipe tips & tricks
- Use fresh fruit for the best taste.
- Enjoy with some cottage cheese for a delicious breakfast.
- Serve in a watermelon bowl or a beautiful presentation. To do this cut the top off your watermelon then scoop out the flesh of the melon.
- Use a melon baller for nice round scoops of watermelon
Additions and Variations
- Add different fruits. You don’t have to limit the salad to watermelon and berries. Make a fresh fruit salad with the addition of all sorts of colorful fruits like oranges, fresh cherries, green grapes or red grapes, and/or apples. You could even add more sweet melons such as honeydew melons or cantaloupe.
- Sprinkle some black pepper. It might sound crazy but a little pepper from the pepper grinder can add an unexpected, but wonderful, flavor.
- Make it chocolatey. You could add some chocolate chips to the fruit salad as a sweet addition just before serving. Or some white chocolate chips to make t red, white, and blue for the 4th of July!
Watermelon Berry Fruit Salad FAQ
You can prepare the salad the morning of, or the day before your event. However, I recommend that you store the dressing and fruit in separate containers and toss them together just before serving to avoid causing the summer fruit salad to get soggy.
Yes! Agave nectar can be used in place of the honey to make the lime and mint fruit salad dressing.
To hull the strawberries, simply slice off the top of the strawberry, including all of the green section.
More Watermelon Recipes
Watermelon Fruit Salad
For the Mint Lime Dressing:
- Juice of 1 lime about 2 Tablespoons
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves sliced thinly
For the Salad:
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 ½ cups strawberries hulled and halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- fresh mint thinly sliced, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk to combine the lime juice, lime zest, honey, and mint. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit; toss gently to coat.
- Garnish with a bit of extra mint leaves and serve.