You will LOVE these hot chocolate brookies! The perfect mix of brownie and cookie – with an added twist. They’re moist, sweet, and so delicious.
Brownies and cookies are equally a delicious baked good favorite, but how do you ever pick one?! Sure, you could make cookie bars as a happy medium, but there’s an even better option. A hot chocolate brookies recipe of course!!
It’s a mix of cookie and brownie with some marshmallows added in. Trust me when I say that it’s heaven in a bite!
Hot cocoa brookies
While this recipe isn’t as easy as the recipes that I typically share, it’s pretty simple to bake and worth the extra effort!
These hot chocolate bars require mixing the brownie batter, pouring it in a pan, sprinkling some marshmallows on top, and doing the same with the cookie dough. It’s a very simple process with a result that will satisfy any craving sweet tooth!
Best of all – these hot chocolate bars work for almost any occasion. Holiday party, potluck, bake sale – you name it!
Hot chocolate cookie bars
Now, if you’re anything like me, you’ll want to bake some extras. One pan just seems to never be enough when you’re making hot cocoa brookies! You get hooked pretty quick and so will any guests who have the pleasure of trying some.
They’re a real crowd-pleaser and you’ll have plenty coming up to you just BEGGING for the recipe for these hot chocolate cookie bars. I mean, why wouldn’t you?!
But let’s get to the recipe now, shall we?
Hot chocolate brookies ingredients
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- canola oil
- vanilla extract
- baking chocolate
- chocolate chips
- mallow bites
- baking soda
- brown sugar
How to make hot chocolate brookies
PREP: Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9×9 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
MIX BROWNIE INGREDIENTS: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder together until well combined. In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
MELT CHOCOLATE: In a microwave safe bowl, melt the baking chocolate in 30 second increments, mixing in-between, until fully melted.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS: Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until well combined. Mix in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
POUR INTO DISH: Pour the batter into the baking dish and then sprinkle 1 cup of mallow bites and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips over the batter; set aside.
MIX COOKIE INGREDIENTS: Grab a large bowl and whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda for the cookies until combined. Beat the butter, brown sugar, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a stand mixer until combined. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
ADD COOKIE DOUGH TO BROWNIE BATTER: Using a small ice cream scoop, drop dollops of cookie dough onto the brownie batter and sprinkle another 1/2 cup of mallow bites onto the cookie dough batter.
BAKE AND SERVE: Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to cool completely before cutting. Enjoy!
What is the best way to soften butter?
The absolute best way to soften your butter is to let it sit on the counter for an hour prior to baking. If you don’t want to wait, however, you can microwave on each of its 4 sides for 5 seconds, while still in the wrapper.
Can I substitute the baking chocolate?
It is not recommended. If you’re in a pinch, you can use 12 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa butter mixed with 4 tablespoons of melted butter or shortening.
Can I make them ahead of time or freeeze them?
You sure can! Bake these as normal, and then slice them after they’ve cooled. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze until hardened. Then, you can easily slip into a plastic bag to freeze.
How long will these brookies last?
These delicious hot cocoa bars will last 3-4 days in the fridge and up to a month in the freezer.
Be sure to check out these other hot chocolate treats!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup mallow bites
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mallow bites
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Start with the brownie batter by whisking together the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder.
- In another medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Melt the baking chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments, mixing in between each one. Continue until fully melted.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until well combined and then add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking dish and then sprinkle 1 cup of mallow bites and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips over the batter; set aside.
- Begin mixing the cookie dough by whisking together the flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla in a stand mixer until combined.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and fold in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, drop dollops of cookie dough onto the brownie batter and sprinkle another 1/2 cup of mallow bites onto the cookie dough.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow to cool completely before cutting, enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 43gProtein: 6g