Rotel salsa combines fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, and lime juice with a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles for a flavorful and easy homemade salsa.
Pair the restaurant-quality salsa with tortilla chips for a quick and easy appetizer or snack. It’s perfect for game day, holiday parties, barbeques, or to enjoy at home as a tasty snack.
When you’re short on time and expecting company, there’s nothing easier than pouring some salsa in a bowl and serving with chips for your guests to enjoy.
And with the help of a can of Rotel, some fresh veggies, and your food processor, you can make a tasty homemade restaurant-style salsa in a matter of minutes.
Once you try this 5-minute salsa recipe, you’ll never want to purchase store-bought salsa again.
Ingredients for Rotel Salsa
This section includes ingredient notes and substitution options. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post.
This recipe uses a combination of canned and fresh ingredients to prepare a delicious salsa with just a few minutes of prep work.
To make your own homemade salsa, you’ll need:
- Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles – we used origional, but you can use mild if you prefer
- Tomatoes – we used fresh but you could use a jar of diced tomatoes instead if tomatos aren’t in season.
- Onion – we used a white onion but you can really use any onion- sweet, red, or even green onion.
- Lime juice
- Jalapeno – a jalapeno or two can really kick your salsa up a notch. But if you want a milder salsa you can skip the jalapeno.
- Seasoning – Try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin or 1 teaspoon of taco seasoning to the salsa for added flavor.
- Cilantro – Cilantro is one of those ingredients people either love or hate. If you are a fan, add up to 1/2 cup fresh cilantro to your salsa.
- Honey or Sugar – Add a pinch of sugar or teaspoon of honey to help balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
How to Make Rotel Salsa
Using a blender or food processor to prepare salsa at home will save you tons of time. It takes all the prep work out of having to finely dice your fresh ingredients. Just roughly chop your tomatoes and onion and you are pretty much good to go.
To make this easy salsa recipe, start by placing your tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro (optional), and jalapeno (optional) in your food processor or blender. Pulse a couple of times until everything is finely chopped.
Next, add the Rotel, lime juice, salt, honey/sugar (optional), and any other seasonings you might be using. Pulse again until the salsa reaches your desired consistency.
Transfer your salsa to an airtight container and chill for at least one hour before serving. Serving with tortilla chips or use as a topping on tacos, rice, eggs, etc…
Pro Tip: For maximum flavor, allow your Rotel salsa to chill for 24 hours before enjoying. This gives the flavor plenty of time to meld.
Since this salsa isn’t canned, it needs to be stored in the refrigerator. When stored in a jar or other airtight container in the fridge it will keep for up to 7 days.
For longer storage rotel salsa can be frozen in freezer baggies or freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months.
Rotel Salsa FAQ
This rotel salsa recipe makes enough for two pint-sized jars or one large quart jar.
You can make salsa with medium heat by removing the seeds from one jalapeno and blending it with the rest of the ingredients. For hot salsa, use two fresh jalapenos. And for extra spicy salsa, use two to three jalapenos and leave the seeds in the pepper as you blend it. You can also make a mild salsa by leaving out the jalapeno altogether.
More Flavor Packed Appitizers & Dips
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3-Ingredient Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Ultimate Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Rotel, undrained
- 1-2 jalapenos, halved (with or without seeds removed)*
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- pinch of granulated sugar or 1 teaspoon of honey
- Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapenos (optional), and cilantro (optional) to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Pulse until the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Add the Rotel, lime juice, salt, honey/sugar (optional), and any other seasonings you might be using. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and the salsa reaches your desired consistency.
- Transfer your salsa to an airtight container and chill for at least one hour before serving.
* You can make salsa with medium heat by removing the seeds from one jalapeno and blending it with the rest of the ingredients. For hot salsa, use two fresh jalapenos. And for extra spicy salsa, use two to three jalapenos and leave the seeds in the pepper as you blend it. You can also make a mild salsa by leaving out the jalapeno altogether.
For maximum flavor, allow your Rotel salsa to chill for 24 hours before enjoying. This gives the flavor plenty of time to meld.
Store salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 33
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.