Posts may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may earn a commission if you use a link provided.
A tasty vegetarian nachos recipe made with homemade corn tortilla chips piled high with refried beans, black beans, pico de gallo, jalapenos, cheese, guacamole, and more. A perfect appetizer for game time snacking or a quick lunch or dinner with the family.
This vegetarian bean nachos recipe is loaded with flavor, and so versatile in terms of what you add or take away from these crispy nachos.
Gain extra protein and fiber from the refried beans and black beans in the recipe.
Read on to learn how to make these tasty vegetarian nachos at home.
Here is what you will need to make vegetarian nachos at home:
- Corn Chips (I share how to make homemade chips)
- Refried beans
- Black beans
- Shredded Cheese
- Bell Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Green Onions
- Toppings – avocado, sour cream, etc
What cheese goes on nachos?
Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and pepper jack cheese are all great options for nachos. Personally, I like to use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack or pepper jack.
If you are vegan you are more than welcome to reach for a vegan-friendly cheese as well.
The biggest thing is making sure you choose a cheese that melts well. I find that shredding your own cheese off a block will help it melt without oil developing like often happens when melting pre-shredded cheese.
Can I Use Store-Bought Chips?
This recipe includes instructions to make homemade corn ships but you can go right ahead and use store-bought chip if you prefer.
I find that corn chips are a nice crunchy chip that holds up pretty well with the oven baking.
Homemade flour tortilla chips tend to be too soft and will sog up when piled with toppings and baked in the oven.
How to make vegetarian nachos in the oven
- Place tortilla chips on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Top with refried beans and salsa or pico de gallo.
- Add cheese, then your other toppings, then more cheese a bit of chili powder, to taste.
- Bake as directed in the printable recipe card below.
What toppings do you put on nachos?
- Shredded Lettuce
- Sour cream
- Avocado or Guacamole
- Black Olives
You can add on as much or as little as you would like. I prefer a loaded nacho so each bite has a lot of toppings piled on top.
Can I Add Meat To These Nachos?
Absolutely! Top with seasoned shredded or diced chicken, ground beef, etc. Just be sure your meat is fully cooked before piling on your nacho mix.
Do Nachos Store Well?
Unfortunately, no. Nachos do not refrigerate well. The chips will sog up a bit when stored in the fridge. You can store the extra beans and such in containers in the fridge. Then if you want to make more nachos later just pull all the essentials out and assemble then bake.
Extra chips that have no toppings can be stored in a sealable bag and stored on the counter.
More Amazing Vegetarian Appetizers:
- Fried Pickle Spears
- 7 Layer Dip Cups
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Veggie Pizza Bars
- French Onion Chip Dip
- Game Day Guacamole – shaped like a football!
Homemade tortilla chips:
- 6 corn tortillas
- salt to taste
- ½ can refried beans
- 2 cups pico de gallo or salsa
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 can 14 oz black beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheese divided
- 1 jalapeno sliced
- chili powder to taste
- 2 green onions sliced
- guacamole and/or sour cream for serving, if desired
For the homemade tortilla chips:
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Slice tortillas into 6ths. Spread on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Spray tops with more cooking spray.
- Bake for about 8 - 10 minutes, until just starting to brown.
For the nachos:
- Allow the sheet pan and chips to cool slightly. When cooled to touch, spread about 2 teaspoonfuls of refried beans on each chip. Then top with pico or salsa.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese over the chips. Then add the chopped green pepper and black beans. Sprinkle on the remaining cup of cheese. Lastly, top with the sliced jalapeno and a bit of chili powder.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and just starting to bubble.
- Top with green onion and serve with sour cream and/or guacamole.