Inside: Follow this easy recipe tutorial to make your own DIY hot chocolate bombs!
For more hot chocolate ideas try this yummy hot chocolate dessert dip, easy DIY hot cocoa mix, or this pink hot chocolate recipe.
Hot chocolate bombs are hollow chocolate spheres filled with hot chocolate powder and marshmallows.
Pour hot milk over them and they melt releasing the cocoa mix and marshmallows. Give it a stir and you have a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
They are so much fun to use, it is no wonder why they have been trending on TikTok and Pinterest for the past few weeks.
Plus, DIY hot chocolate bombs make great holiday gifts too. Place a bomb in a cellophane bag and tie with ribbon. You could even add one to a cute mug for a unique and fun homemade gift.
Enough talk, let’s get down to how to make these magical hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows.
You will need:
- silicone mold: A 2.5 inch mold like this one is the perfect size for hot cocoa bombs.
- chocolate: Semi-sweet chocolate chips, wafers, or baking chocolate work great. If you are using a bar of baking chocolate be sure to chop it up finely before melting.
- hot cocoa mix: Your favorite hot cocoa powdered mix. We like this one. Or make your own.
- mini marshmallows: I used regular mini marshmallows this time but dehydrated marshmallows work well too. Plus they allow you to fit more marshmallows in the bombs.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
- Melt the chocolate – Use the microwave to heat the chocolate for 30 seconds. Stir and return to microwave, heating in 15-second increments and stirring after each until fully melted.
- Fill mold – Cover the mold with melted chocolate, using the back of a spoon to push the chocolate around to completely cover the mold.
- Freeze to set – Place molds chocolate side up in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from mold – Turn the mold over and press gently to release.
- Fill bombs with cocoa mix and marshmallows – Fill half the chocolate domes with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows, and any other add-ins you would like to use. We added some mini chocolate chips.
- Seal – Melt the edge of an empty dome on a plate that has been warmed up in the microwave. Then place it on top of a filled dome, holding for a few seconds until it is sealed. Repeat to form all of your bombs.
- Freeze to set (again) – Pop in the freezer for 5 more minutes to fully set.
- Wear food-safe gloves while working with your chocolate spheres to avoid leaving fingerprints.
- Try mixing it up with different add-ins such as mini chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, crushed peppermint, or other crushed candies.
- Dress up your hot chocolate bombs with a drizzle of melted white chocolate on top and some sprinkles.
- Store your cocoa bombs in an airtight container at room temperature, away from heat or direct sunlight.
How to use a hot chocolate bomb
Next time you are craving a delicious cup of cocoa, grab your hot chocolate bomb!
Simply place the bomb in a mug, pour hot milk over it, stir, and enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Bombs with Marshmallows
↑ Click stars to rate now!Print Pin SaveSaved! Rate
- 1.5 cups semisweet chocolate chips or melting chocolate
- 6 Tablespoons hot chocolate mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- In a medium-sized bowl, heat chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well. Return to microwave and heat in 15-second intervals, stirring between, until smooth and completely melted.
- Add melted chocolate to a silicone sphere mold, using the back of a spoon to push the chocolate around to completely cover the mold.
- Place molds into the freezer for 10 minutes to set, chocolate side up.
- Once the chocolate has set, turn the mold over so it is chocolate-side down and press gently to remove the chocolate domes.
- Fill half of the domes with hot cocoa mix and mini marshmallows.
- Warm a small plate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Rub the edge of an empty dome on the warm plate to melt it a bit then place it on top of a filled dome, holding for a few seconds until it is sealed. Repeat to make all your bombs.
- Freeze for 5 minutes then store at room temperate until ready to enjoy.
To serve: Place the bomb in a mug, pour hot milk over it, stir, and enjoy!
The nutritional information provided is automatically calculated by a third party and intended to serve as an estimate only. The accuracy of nutritional information is not guaranteed.
Leave a Reply