Adorable Easter Bunny Cupcakes that are easy to make using chocolate candy!
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
Today I have another super cute Easter dessert recipe for you – chocolate bunny cupcakes!
Now you will need to stock up on candy to make these babies as the bunnies are made out of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Whoppers, Tootsie Rolls, and Sweet Tarts. Holy candy overload!
Below I have the recipe for homemade chocolate cupcakes, chocolate frosting, and building the bunny.
But if you would like to take a shortcut, you can use a boxed chocolate cake mix and pre-made icing to make the cupcakes. Totally your call!
While these chocolate bunnies look like they took a lot of skill to make, they really are easy.
Let’s take a look how we put them together, step by step.
How to Make Bunny Cupcakes
Then use the black decorating gel to “glue” on a Sweet Tart Chewy candy as the nose and add details like a smile and whiskers.
Place Whoppers into the frosting to make the bunnies hands.
Place the peanut butter cup onto the frosting.
Use a rolling pin to flatten Tootsie Rolls and cut out the shape of bunny ears. Pop the ears in the fridge to harden for a minute while you melt a bit of chocolate in your microwave. Then, use the chocolate as “glue” to attach the ears to the top of the bunny’s head.
That’s it! Your bunnies are ready to be enjoyed!
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cups cocoa
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
Decorating Supplies / Candy:
- Piping bag with round tip
- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Sweet Tarts Chewy Candy
- Tootsie Rolls
- Melting chocolate
- Black decorating gel tube
- White decorating gel tube
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners
- Using a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes
- Add in the vanilla and egg until well mixed
- On low gradually mix in the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until combined.
- Add in milk and mix
- Evenly distribute the batter into the cupcake liners
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- In a large mixing bowl with whisk attachment, add in all ingredients and mix until combined.
- If “rocks” appear add in another tablespoon of heavy whipping cream.
- When you have stiff peaks, stop mixing.
- Add frosting to piping bag fixed with a round tip and frost cupcakes.
- Using white decorating gel, draw a dot for the base of each eye on the peanut butter cups. Then, add a small black dot for the pupal using black decorating gel. Using the white decorating gel again, pipe on a tiny white dot in the center of the pupil.
- Use black decorating gel to attach a Sweet Tart in the center of each peanut butter cup as the nose.
- Continue with black decorating gel, drawing on whiskers and a smile (eyebrows are optional).
- Set bunny faces aside to allow decorating gel to dry.
- Place Whoppers into the frosting on either side to form the bunny’s hands.
- Place peanut butter cups on cupcakes.
- Use a rolling pin to flatten Tootsie Rolls. Use a knife to cut into ear shape. Place ears into the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Melt chocolate in microwave by heating for 1 minute, stirring, then heating in additional 15 sec increments, stirring in between, until completely melted.
- Remove ears from freezer, bend into desired shape, dip bottom into melted chocolate, and place on the top of the peanut butter cup.
- Use a boxed chocolate cake mix and premade chocolate frosting to save time.
- You can use candy eyes instead of making the eyes with the decorating gel.