Learn how to make homemade bath bombs easily using a moon cake press. The finished products are beautiful and would make lovely gifts.
Ever since I posted the recipe for headache relief bath bombs, you guys have been asking me for more bath bombs.
Today I am coming through for you with these gorgeous — and easy — moon cake press bath bombs.
Moon cake presses are fairly inexpensive on Amazon, and have a lot of uses such as making these flowery bath bombs.
Seriously though. How lovely did these moon press bath bombs come out?
I am totally diggin’ this new way to press bath bombs.
But if you don’t have a moon press mold and don’t want to order one, it is OK. You can totally substitute by using a traditional bath bomb mold or silicone mold instead. The recipe will still give you some great DIY bath bombs. But, you should definitely try using a moon cake press to make your bath bombs one day — they are easy to use and they come out so beautifully.
Let’s get down to it…
Moon Cake Press Bath Bomb Supplies
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/2 cup SLSA (Sodium Laurel Sulfoacetate)
- 1/4 cup cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp kaolin clay (optional but recommended, used to harden the bath bombs and give them more stabilization.)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp rubbing alcohol
- 1 tsp polysorbate 80 (optional but recommended, makes your bath bombs bubble up in the water)
- Essential oils of your choice (we used Chamomile, Bergamot and Eucalyptus)
- Mica coloring (we used purple, green and blue from this set on Amazon)
- Spray bottle of rubbing alcohol
- Moon Press mold
Shop Moon Press Bath Bomb Supplies
Cookie Stamp Moon Cake Mold with 6 StampsMilliard Citric Acid 5 Pound – 100% Pure Food Grade NON-GMOKAOLIN CLAY White Cosmetic NATURAL POWDER 1 LBErosom 24 Colors Mica Powder PigmentsPolysorbate 80Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate 1.5 lb Resealable Tub with Scoop
How to Make Homemade Bath Bombs Using Moon Cake Press
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: baking soda, citric acid, SLSA, cream of tartar and kaolin clay. Using a sifter or mesh strainer, remove any hard pieces of the dry ingredients.
2. Using a whisk, break down any lumps remaining in the dry mixture.
3. In a small bowl, whisk liquid ingredients together: coconut oil, rubbing alcohol and polysorbate 80.
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients slowly, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
5. Whisk well to ensure the ingredients are fully combined. When you can press the mixture together in your hands and it stays together, it is ready (as seen in image above).
6. Divide mixture evenly into three bowls. Add essential oil and color of your choice to each bowl and whisk to combine.
Keep your bottle of rubbing alcohol handy. You will need this if your mixture begins to dry out.
7. Pack mixture firmly into moon press (or your choice of mold), pressing it down firmly with a spoon.
8. Place moon press down on parchment or wax paper. Press down firmly once or twice to further pack in the mixture.
9. Hold the moon cake press about 1/2 inch above your surface (as shown in photo) and carefully push down on handle of the press. While pressing on the handle, slowly lift the press up to release the bath bomb.
10. Allow your bath bombs to dry overnight on a tray or plate.
When you are ready for some relaxation and aromatherapy simple drop a bath bomb into your bath and enjoy.
These homemade bath bombs would also make a great homemade gift idea. From Mother’s Day to Teacher Appreciation Day, these would make a relaxing and thoughtful treat.